The Youngest Sibling: Both a Blessing and a Curse

Drawing the distinction between the guidance of role models and wanting to be just like your role models. If you are the youngest sibling, this article will be perfect for you. However, those who are the oldest sibling could certainly benefit from understanding what it is like to grow up as the youngest.

40

Picture being the youngest of two older sisters- one is 7 years older than you and the other 10 years older. They are your biggest supporters, friends, and the most caring people in your life. Yet, you grow up wanting to be just like them, and simultaneously, end up losing your own sense of self, confidence, and independence. Well, that youngest sister is me.

Growing up in my hometown, I constantly desired to be just like my two older sisters. I wanted to be as popular as them, confident, pretty, and as academically successful in order to be able to go to the same high-prestige university. I had high standards to live up to and it felt like everyone around me knew it. I put a ton of pressure on myself. Instead of trying to be the best version of myself, I ended up always trying to be good enough to be just like them.

Before my tour at UW-Madison, I had been moving along one straight line, trying to accomplish all that my sisters did. But, after touring this university, I finally was starting to make my way towards another direction, onto my own unique path I realized that there might be another destiny in place for me all along. One that would represent who I am, what I want out of my own college experience, as well as a place that would be more comforting of an environment for me, both socially and academically.

For all of you youngest siblings out there- if you have amazing, caring, and lovable siblings like I do, you are one very lucky person. But, just remember, you are who you are and do not compare yourself or try to be someone you are not. There will be some things you're siblings are able to achieve in some areas that you may not be able to, but I promise there are things you far surpass them in.