The World Is A Mess

The World Is A Mess

What do we do now?

119
The World Is A Mess
Photo by Tim Gouw from Pexels

I've been staring at this page, hoping that the words would come. However, I don't think there are enough words to adequately express everything from the whirlwind of events of these past few weeks.

Schools canceled. Social gatherings disbanded. Pushing everything online. It's like the beginning of a science fiction novel.

But what do we do now?

If you're anything like me, you've been feeling an enormous weight and sense of restlessness. You've been frustrated and confused. You're left wondering, "what next"?

No amount of planning can fix this. That's difficult for me to say, because I love a good plan. However, this outbreak is rapidly evolving and changing. Each day is different and more information is being released each hour.

That leaves us with nothing to do but wait.

I've never been very good at waiting. I think this is the case for a lot of people, as well. Our society has grown so accustomed to instant gratification and business that when we are forced to slow down we don't know what to do with ourselves.

It's almost as if someone hit the pause button on life. Everything in the world has come to a screeching halt, and our immediate response is "what should we do?"

Everyone's been told to practice social distancing, which is essentially staying home and doing nothing. Yet, our bodies have grown so used to business that this is against our wiring. We no longer know how to sit and be still.

I've wrestled with this a lot the last couple days. I've been scrambling to find something, anything, to do ... But here I am, sitting at home.

I don't want my time at home to be wasted. I want to find joy in all circumstances, including this one.

So, I'm trying to change my perspective.

I'm going to use this time to spend extended time in the Word. I plan to listen to all those podcasts and read the books I've just been shoving into a "someday I'll get to it" pile. Most of all, I will rest. I want to relearn what it means to rest in the Lord's presence and be still before Him.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." (Romans 15:13)

However, I don't want to make this time of isolation all about me. I think it's important, especially now, to be in prayer for those that are sick, those working in healthcare, and those in positions of power who have to make difficult decisions in the days ahead.

In addition to this, it's vital to continue to have gospel conversations with people (though, this might have to be done virtually). They need hope now more than ever. Intentionality is key.

We'd be missing the point if we became so isolated we forgot to be present in the midst of this chaos. Yesterday I heard it said, "Wash hands, but also wash feet."

Serve others. Love others. Put their needs above your own.

Use this time to draw near to Christ.

All that being said, maybe it won't be so bad here in the waiting.

If you're looking for something to do or some resources to keep you occupied, here's a list:

Podcasts

- The Porch

- Radical

Books

- Radical by David Platt

- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

- Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper

Online Articles

- Desiring God