The "Work In Progress" Mentality

The "Work In Progress" Mentality

Celebrate how far you have come.

24
The "Work In Progress" Mentality
pexels.com

The first time I ever felt fat was when I was eight years old. I remember it like it was yesterday, because in some ways it has followed me ever since. I had just joined cheerleading and was so excited to stand with the rest of my squad as we anxiously tried on our uniforms. Most of the girls were handed small tops and skirts, tried them on, and then admired the perfect fit. For me, several sizes had to be tried until I was given the largest one the coach had. There was a feeling of shame associated with the size marked on that tag. I felt judged and embarrassed that I hadn't been able to fit into the first outfit given to me.

Since then, I have always viewed my size as a "work in progress." I know I am not alone in this. Research shows that women in the United States are way more preoccupied with how they look, rather than how they feel. Your body is not yet complete. Not until you lose those last few pounds, or go two shades blonder, or your nails grow just a bit longer. Women are "fixers." Fix your image and the rest will fall into place, right? Not exactly.

The "Work in Progress" mentality is a dangerous mindset that exists to tear down confidence and fuel this materialistic urge to constantly improve aspects of life that don't need fixing. For example, notice how many fitness posts on social media feature captions, such as, "so proud of how far I've come, just a bit more!" or "constantly improving." Everyone is too busy stressing the fact that they have not yet reached their goal that they are terrified to tell the world, "I've been busting my ass in the gym and I'm proud of myself." Why do women constantly feel the need to justify their appearance based on how far away these unattainable goals are?

By marking yourself as a work in progress, you take away from the accomplishments you have already achieved. You are beautiful. You have found success. You are exactly where you need to be right now. Enjoy how far you have come in your journey and celebrate whatever is ahead without comparing. It doesn't matter if you wear the smallest or largest cheerleading uniform ever made, as long as you feel confident and excited to wear it.