It's Time That We Take Vaping More Seriously

Vaping, as a new phenomenon, has not had any long term studies on it. This generation seems to be the guinea pig experiment to see the effect of long term and regular vaping.

14

Is vaping truly the healthier alternative to cigarettes? Depending on who you ask, the answer is different. E-cigarettes and vaping were first introduced to the market as an alternative to actual cigarette use. E-cigarettes were marketed as a harmless way to continue smoking, due to the fact that there was no actual tobacco burning. Due to the easy access of vapes and a lax view of vaping in the media, there is a false construct of vaping. It is seen as a casual pastime, not as a risk to their health. The lack of media coverage on the vaping trend directly contributes to this casual attitude on something that could potentially be disastrous. The truth of the matter is, the potential is not considered enough.

Vaping, as a new phenomenon, has not had any long term studies on it. This generation seems to be the guinea pig experiment to see the effect of long term and regular vaping. There is a significant lack of scientific research into the long term effects of vaping, but because there are no immediate consequences, only the appeal of vapes is seen. We may find out that this generation had unwittingly become the guinea pigs that the next generation reflects on to see the detrimental effects of vaping. The creation of devices like the JUUL has cultivated a detrimental situation in today's youth and has ultimately created a situation where today's youth is at risk, all due to the false construct of vaping and the lack of scientific research on it. With the appeal of JUUL's as quick devices that expel various flavored substances and the trendy appearance, our youth has fallen into the trap of vaping.

While today's youth may feel bliss in ignorance now, the rabbit hole of vaping may lead to tomorrow's adults feeling an unprecedented set of grievances. Perhaps if more research is done and if we become more educated on this topic, today's generation can avoid the potential catastrophe of vaping regularly.