The Unspoken Rules of College

The Unspoken Rules of College

If you don't know, now you know.

13
The Unspoken Rules of College
gradschool.umd.edu

Have you ever been walking around campus, and you're just under this impression that everyone knows something you don't? Well, during college, there are a lot of things that go untold, but you're still expected to know. Whether it be things to know when you're in the classroom, places to get free things, or "social etiquette," it is imperative to pick up on these cues.

1. Don't take the elevator if you're going to the second floor.

Take the stairs. Most likely you'll get to your destination faster, and you don't have to face the shame of being the one to cause a delay for everyone else only because you wanted to be lazy. Also, try to avoid being the one to force the elevator to stop at every single floor on the way up. Other people's patience will run thin very fast.

2. Don't take anyone's seat.

Just because professors don't assign seats doesn't mean that seat isn't mine. If I've been sitting here for a month or even a week straight, it's a safe assumption that I've claimed this seat. Don't try and get a change of scenery by sitting in my spot because you'll end up messing up the entire flow of the class. You'll take my seat, forcing me to take someone else's seat, and the cycle continues. Don't act brand new.

3. Don't be in the way when Greeks start to stroll.

Don't say I didn't warn you. Notice that a select group of people are getting really hype when a certain song comes on? Take that as your cue to clear the center and get to the nearest wall so you don't get in the middle of the stroll. I know you may really enjoy Back That Azz Up, but for your own sake, move out of the way. Give it thirty seconds tops, and then you can go back to what you were doing.

4. Don't wear your keys around your neck.

Room key and student ID on a lanyard? Easiest way to pinpoint who the freshmen are. Don't let it be that obvious.

5. Come to slay at all events.

Every chance is an opportunity to slay. I don't care if it's a tailgate, a block show, a paid party, or even class. Have that go to bomber jacket and new outfit on deck. You'll feel underdressed if everyone looks runway ready, and you just look ready to runaway.

6. Don't ever touch anyone else's things unless asked.

This goes for a lot of things. Don't touch someone's food, hair, books, clothes, bed, or laundry. Don't be that person who is impatient and takes someone else's clothes out of the dryer and sits them on top, so you can use the dryer. Consider it this way; don't overstep your boundaries.

7. Be ready for that roll call.

This is all about pride. Rep your city like no other, whether you're from Jersey, Philly, New York, Baltimore, or PG/DC. Know your city's anthem, and be prepared to go in when they shout out your hometown. This is just as crucial as the roll call for class years.

8. Always have your flag with you.

This goes hand in hand with the roll call. I cannot tell you how many times I've been at an event and a country is mentioned and suddenly I see that country's flag proudly being waved in the air. Have just as much pride for your home country as you do your hometown.

9. There's a reason why some classes have 100 kids on the waitlist.

The classes with a lot of kids on the waitlist either are really interesting or an easy A, either way you want to find a way into that class. If a class has numerous open seats, most likely you'll regret being the one to venture into that course. Try looking at course evaluation websites to get a better idea of what you're jumping into if you're uncertain. Also, waitlist for classes even if you don't think you have a chance, because you never know if you just might get into the class.

10. Floor 2 is Club Mckeldin.

Don't be that person who comes to the library and goes to the first or second floor and gets mad that people are talking. If you truly want silence, consider going to the higher floors in the library. The open atmosphere of the second floor should be your hint that people are going to be talking. A common occurence on floor 2 is to see people lounging without any backpack or schoolwork. They don't call it Club Mckeldin for nothing.

11. Do you.

Honestly, truly, no one cares what you do. Don't get so wrapped up in worrying about what other people think about you. No one really has the time to be worried about everything you are doing, when they need to be worried about themselves. Don't ever take things too personally.

Unfortunately, college doesn't come with a survival guide. And not everyone is going to be forthcoming with information, but the best way to make it out smoothly is to find a mentor. If you don't know, now you know.