The (Un)official Countdown To Life As A Post Grad

An unofficial letter to us, "adults."

63
pexels.com

When I was a new incoming transfer student coming into school, the concept of graduating seemed like lightyears away.

Fast forward to present day time and it's the official two-week countdown to graduating from total undergraduate debauchery to post-graduate debauchery. It's been a long time coming since coming to terms with going back and forth from coping with moving on from undergraduate life once and for all and the question of whether or not I, along with my friends, will be okay after all. The answer to this question is this: it's completely unknown whether or not we'll be okay but what's known for a fact is that although we don't know for a fact of what's to come, there's an aura of excitement behind that. We essentially make what we can out of what's to come and if things do go south sometimes, it's still entirely up to us to decide what to do from that point onwards.

I take comfort in knowing that having had graduated a semester early, I've had an extra semester to think to myself. To think about the inevitable and how I could've possibly stopped time to bask in the beautiful moments with my friends. To at least make time go a little slower to bask in the glory that is my girlfriends and I congregating around our kitchen island, something we refer to as The Rumor Mill, gossiping about the people in our lives (and incidentally, the ones not in our lives). To mindlessly watch conspiracy theories without any care for the assignments we had to do in just a mere few hours, to go on the late night ice cream runs, and meal prepping together and complaining about how badly we want to relapse and order a "few slices of pizza".

Now, this isn't to say that all of these picture-perfect moments will come to a permanent halt but it does mean that it'll have to be a temporary pause. A temporary pause not because it won't be convenient enough to be around one another 24/7 but because it won't be every single day that we'll be around one another and instead of running into each other's rooms every morning any time we just heard something soooo crazy, we'll just have to abruptly FaceTime one another or mass text everyone in our beloved group chats.

The things I'm most worried about aren't "losing friendships" or "losing contact" with anyone because whoever means something to you will always be there through the high highs and the very low lows, no questions asked. It's the fact of the matter that whatever we've always believed we would do with our lives and careers can take the biggest U-turns and suddenly we're doing something we never envisioned ourselves doing and in that, there's an aura of a happy mystery surrounding that.

All in all, I truly believe that we should delve deep into whatever feelings we'll be feeling these coming weeks. The tears, the happiness, the sad, the uncertainty, and even the 'almost anything' because we are allowed to feel like this. We can safely say that we've earned the right to feel both extreme numbness and extreme happiness at the same time because we are technically adults now, right?

That IS what adults do... right?