The Ultimate Athens Summer Bucket List

The Ultimate Athens Summer Bucket List

summer time in the classic city

36
The Ultimate Athens Summer Bucket List
Photo by Milo Bauman on Unsplash

I love living in Athens. I am loving every second of spending the summer in my favorite place. It's my home. It's the place I dreamed of while crying into ACT books. It's the place I grew up calling the dawgs in. It's a fairytale. I have made it my mission to not just go to school here but to live here. I want to explore everything Athens has to offer. I want to try everything and go everywhere. I refuse to let my years here spent in a library. Though the current circumstances have made it hard to truly enjoy everything that makes Athens the classic city, there are still plenty to socially distanced things you NEED to do this summer in the 30605.

1. Watch sunset at the Iron Horse

This Athens staple is the perfect place for a picnic. Bring your friends, some snacks, and watch the sunset next to an iron statue. Paper lanterns are also an inexpensive way to make this field an insta-worthy event. Take pictures, relax, and social distance with a view.

2. Hangout on the rooftop 

Speaking of views, summer is the perfect time to hangout at Athens' best rooftop restaurants and bars. The rooftop at the Georgia theater has great snacks and a drink menu with a view. The Hyatt has also opened their rooftop you can see the whole city from. Get some snacks or a drink and enjoy this new addition to the hotel downtown.

3. Go to the farmers' market

It's now open! Take a Sunday to shop local vendors, try food from farms nearby and support your community. There's live music, fantastic food, great people, and handmade items. This is such a fun way to spend the weekend and get to know businesses near you!

4. Have a new restaurant schedule

Choose a day that works for you and your friends and try a new restaurant each week. I recommend starting at The World Famous and ordering their fries and signature sauce. Avoid the mainstream and test out local businesses that make Athens special. Make a list of places you've always wanted to try but never had.

5. Go outside!

The Georgia botanical gardens are beautiful especially in the summer! Walk around, go for a hike, bring a picnic. It's so pretty and worth spending an afternoon. Go to Bear Hollow Zoo. See native Georgia animals for free and have a fun time outdoors with everyone's favorite bears.

6. Go for a scavenger hunt

Drive around and see how many bulldogs you can find around Athens! Keep a running total and spend a day trying to find all thirty statues. Take pictures of all of them and find your favorites.

7. Go shopping

Go to vintage stores. Walk into every place down town. Talk to the owners and support your local favorites. Head into as many places as you can, talk to the owners, look around. Explore the places you've never heard of.