The Ultimate 30-Day Journal Challenge

The Ultimate 30-Day Journal Challenge

30 prompts to get your thoughts out of your head and onto paper.

18445
The Ultimate 30-Day Journal Challenge
Odyssey

With the stresses of finals and later the boredom of being at home for a WHOLE MONTH comes the need for distraction. Maybe not so much distraction as introspection, and what better way to look inside yourself than to write? Now, granted, I may be a bit biased as an English major, but journaling and writing in general has incredible transformative properties. It allows us to get to know ourselves a bit better and to articulate what we are feeling. We are able to truly work through our thoughts and feelings rather than bury them. So today I challenge you to begin a 30-day journal! Follow the prompts or your own and get to know yourself a bit better. When you're done, read all the way through and you'll see some change from start to finish-hopefully for the better.

Day 1:

What's your biggest fear? Why are you afraid of it?

Day 2:

Write a narrative about a time that you were really, truly happy.

Day 3:

Think of the person closest to you whether it be a parent, friend, or significant other, and describe them in fifty words.

Day 4:

Write a poem about your first (or worst) heartbreak.

Day 5:

Think about a time where you acted 100% selflessly. How did you feel upon completing the action?

Day 6:

Pretend that you're living your ultimate dream. It could be regarding your job, lifestyle, home, anything, but write about a typical day in the life.

Day 7:

If you had the courage to do anything you wanted, what would you do?

Day 8:

Write about the very first memory you have. What does it mean? Why do you think you remember this and not anything before?

Day 9:

When you wake up, write down 5 things that you are grateful for. Repeat when you go to sleep but don't repeat anything on your list.

Day 10:

It's holiday season and everyone celebrates differently. What do the holidays mean to you/how do you celebrate?

Day 11:

Do you tend to do most of the giving or receiving in your relationships? How can you change this dynamic or improve it?

Day 12:

Think of how you imagined yourself "grown up" when you were younger. Then, write a letter to the younger you. Would you be proud of yourself? What advice would you give?

Day 13:

Do you have any regrets? If so, how can you let go of these or make up for them?

Day 14:

Have you ever been in love? What does love mean to you?

Day 15:

Observe your surroundings and write a narrative of what's going on around you without any punctuation.

Day 16:

Who has had the greatest impact on your life and why? It can be a teacher, a parent, a friend, an event, anything.

Day 17:

If you could only eat one type of food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

Day 18:

What is your greatest accomplishment so far and how did you achieve it?

Day 19:

How do you cope with stressful/difficult situations? Assess your coping mechanisms and if you see that they aren't healthy, ponder how you can change them.

Day 20:

If you could hang out with anyone in the world, dead or alive, for a day, who would it be and why? What would you do?

Day 21:

Think of something not-so-nice you've recently said or of resentment you've been holding on to for somebody. Write down what you said or what happened and read through it. Is it worth holding on to? How can you let this go?

Day 22:

There's always room for improvement in our lives. What is one thing you can do each day to better yourself?

Day 23:

Perform a random act of kindness today. It shouldn't be holding a door open for someone or something like that because as decent human beings we should be doing that anyways! How did it make you feel upon completion? Do you want to try it again?

Day 24:

Write about your first childhood friend. What kind of impact do you think they had on your life?

Day 25:

Today, try to focus on how much you're on your phone. If possible, try to limit your use on social media and your phone in general. How difficult or easy was it? Does this change your perspective on your relationship with technology?

Day 26:

Imagine it's Donald Trump's first day in office, and you are Donald Trump. Write about your day in narrative form.

Day 27:

Think of the best vacation/trip you've ever been on. Why was it so great? Would it be different if you went again?

Day 28:

Write about a time you felt weak, and focus on how you became strong again. What does this say about your character?

Day 29:

We've all been hurt before, by people who should never hurt us, and usually we keep quiet about it. Write a letter to someone who hurt you and convey your feelings in a kind, respectful way.

Day 30:

Write a poem about your family. How have they shaped you? Which members have had the greatest impact?