The Truth Behind Advertising Strategies

The Truth Behind Advertising Strategies

Have you noticed the hidden messages?

275
The Truth Behind Advertising Strategies
The Liberty Beacon

We are all exposed to many kinds of advertisements in different categories. Companies may promote their products either on television, the internet or in newspapers. Advertisers use a wide variety of techniques during the process; however, viewers are sometimes offended by some methods. Advertisements, in many cases, promote unnecessary materialism using sexual metaphors sent with exaggerated messages.

Obviously, everything that is being advertised is not always needed. The overall goal of a company’s promotion is to convince viewers to purchase their products, regardless of what is being sold. Renato K. Sesana stated “Nowadays market executives will use all available methods to convince viewers of the need to buy their company’s products” . Companies are aware that their merchandise may not be a necessity. It is interesting to note that what we really need does not need advertisement (Sesana, Renato K). In contrast, most products are more focused on desires. For example, cigarettes are purchased by those who desire to smoke, which makes the ads successful. Eric Shaw once mentioned “The success of cigarettes is a potent example of advertising's enormous power and economic value” Unfortunately, confusing difference between addictions and needs may also affect how consumers spend money. Advertisement has the ability to change a non-smoker's mind by persuasion. The outcome is based upon how persuasive an ad can be to draw the customer’s service, whether the products are needed or not.

In order to attract certain groups of people, advertising firms use techniques such as sexual metaphors. For instance, beer ads contain many counts of sex appeal to convince the male audience to buy that specific brand of alcohol. A large number of beer consumers are male and sexual content often grabs men's attention. Not only are children affected but adults may also become offended. Some companies may believe that sex-related ideas are the only ways to sell certain products. This concepts can be harmful. Ads can get points across without using sex. Sex-related slogans or symbols can appear troublesome to viewers of the advertisements.

Furthermore, many messages companies aim to send are excessively exaggerated. Under those circumstances, gullible minds may be tricked into comprehending the wrong idea. Exaggeration, to some, could very well be considered lies or false statements. For example, “Red Bull gives you wings” is a hyperbole, but can be grouped with lies due to the fact that Red Bull cannot give a human the ability to fly. Hyperboles are tolerated more than lies, which may be the reason advertisers allow these methods. Exaggeration often takes place by not telling the whole truth. . Realistically, a person would not receive this amount of money for something so simple. In the final analysis, the advertisement is not completely true due to exaggerated messages.

Promotion of materialism, sexual statements and hyperboles can be quite harmful. Such messages affect not only today’s younger generation, but also the overall society. There’s a possibility that promotion will someday grow out of control unless advertising reaches a turning point. Other methods can be discovered and applied to the advertisement industry. Many consequences can be avoided by simply changing work ethics and study habits by adapting to new ideas. The overall goal is to make advertisement available to all ages. If advertisers fail to do so, younger viewers should not access those specific ads. To see a positive difference with promotions, the first step is committing to a dedicated change. In conclusion, the negatives of advertising must be laid to rest.