The Truth About Your Senior Year of High School

It is almost time to say goodbye to your childhood.

87

Feeling those mixed emotions about your last year in high school? Here are some tips to make your final year a memorable one :)

Ahhhh yes, senior year. Did you believe you were going to make it this far? Remember when you were just a little freshman, who used to run to class as soon as you heard the bell, and you used to be so scared when you saw the seniors? Well, look at you now. You're a senior yourself. Let me just say, senior year, is a crazy ride, and I'm here to tell you all the things to keep in mind as you experience your last year of high school.

1. SENORITIS IS REAL.

I really mean it when I say this. When I got my University acceptance, I literally didn't go to class for the rest of the week. I worked so hard to get into my program, and once it came, I was so relieved. I was always that girl who got work done early, so I was never behind. But towards the end of grade 12, I was leaving things till the last minute, coming to class late, and pretty much just being a lazy sloth. Just remember not to slack off too much, because you still want to end off the year on a high note and show your postsecondary institutions that you are still the intelligent, all rounded human beings they think you are.

2. TIME TO THINK ABOUT YOUR FUTURE.

Senior year is the time when postsecondary applications go out. This is when the big questions start being asked: What do you want to do after high school? What are your goals? What are your skills? I remember when applications were due, I literally lived at our school's guidance office that entire month. I just didn't know what I wanted to do. I was scared of making decisions. I was panicking, because I was afraid I might make the wrong choice. But, with help from my parents, friends, and teachers, I realized I wanted to become a teacher. I love children more than anything. Also, I learned how much I loved writing, and reading novels, and with English being one of my best subjects, I decided I must enrol into the English Program at UofT St George, and hopefully get into teacher's college thereafter. Senior year is when you discover what your true passions are, and when you start to make those "big" decisions about your future.

3. CHERISH YOUR FRIENDSHIPS.

I cannot emphasize this any more. Your friendships are extremely important throughout high school. Make sure you have a strong circle, with people who love you for who you are, and who will always have your back no matter what. I definitely had a lot of friends that came and gone, but when senior year came around, I knew who my real friends were. They are the ones who will drop everything to be there for you. My best friend from senior year is still my best friend today, we go to the same university and pretty much do everything together. When I look at my friend circle from freshman year, and my circle from senior year, I realize a lot has changed. I only stayed close with very few people. Now that we are all in postsecondary, I only talk to 3 people regularly from high school. There were a lot of people who I was close to in high school, but once we all went our separate ways, we all just fell apart from each other. What I'm trying to say is, try to make as many memories as you can with your close friends, because the time will come where you will all take different paths, so make the best out of it.

4. WHAT HAPPENS NOW WON'T MATTER A YEAR FROM NOW.

I get it. That boy you used to date cheated on you with the girl who you thought was your best friend. That girl talked crap about you to your crush. That girl who was supposed to be your science partner made you do the entire lab by yourself. Honestly, all I can say is, GET OVER IT. You're not even going to see these people a year from now, so just suck it up and be nice. There is no point in holding a grudge. There were a whole bunch of people in high school who I hated, but now, I don't see or hear about them anymore. They are irrelevant to me now. You're never going to see those people anymore, so honestly, just be on good terms with everyone, and it will help the school year go by more smoothly. Stay away from causing drama, and just go with the flow. Hating on your classmates won't make situations better. Forgive and forget, and just move on with life.

5. GO TO PROM.

upload.wikimedia.org

6. ENJOY LUNCH TIME.

Lunchtime was always something to look forward to each day, because this was the time I got to sit with my friends and catch up with how our days have been so far. This will be the last year you will be able to see your friends every single day, and lunchtime will be one of those times that you will miss most about high school. Also, your metabolism will only get slower after high school, so remember to pig out as much as you can this year.

7. TELL YOUR CRUSH YOU LIKE THEM.

Okay, I can already see you giving me that confused look. You're thinking, who the heck would do that? Let me tell you, I had many, MANY, crushes in high school. When senior year came, there was that one boy I had a huge crush on. However, I knew that once high school was over, I would never see him again. On the last day of grade 12, I went over to my best friend's house, and I typed a long paragraph telling him how I felt. I felt so good after. To my luck, he was really nice about it too. I felt that closure, and I was able to move on. I guess that's why my friends refer me to Lara Jean from To All The Boys I've Loved Before (best movie of all time). If you're expecting to actually get into a relationship with the person, nothing is going to happen if you stay quiet!! There are chances that the person may feel the same way about you, but is too scared to speak up. If you like someone, you just have to go for it. After high school, chances are you may never see that person again, so you must make your move before it is too late.

8. TAKE PART IN ALL OF YOUR SCHOOL'S EVENTS.

This is your last year of high school, meaning this is your last chance to enjoy your school's spirit!! I remember during my senior year, we had an event called Twin Day, and so my brother (he was in grade 9 at the time) and I wore matching Adidas t-shirts and did the trivia game, as well as the obstacle course. Let's just say that it was funny to watch, because during the obstacle course, we had to run. My brother is an athlete, but I on the other hand am the person who gets tired just from walking up the stairs. By the time I started to run he was already on the other side!! It was honestly hilarious. People thought it was cool because it's pretty rare that you see a senior student and a freshman teaming up. Our school also had a talent show, and so my best friend and I did a dance number for it. Honestly, people tried putting us down, telling us we couldn't do it, but we went up there and pulled it off. I'm so glad we did it, it was definitely a highlight of grade 12.

8.GRADUATION CAN BE A LITTLE OVERWHELMING.

They say that your high school graduation is a huge milestone. It is the end of an era. But, it is also the start of a new chapter. When I went to my high school's graduation, I actually felt a little anxious. I realized that these people who I've watched grown up, I'm never going to hear of again. The people who have watched me grow, will probably never hear of me again. Hugs and goodbyes are being shared, and you thank people for being there. You wish people the best of luck as they take on the future. You walk down your hallway close your locker one last time. It can be a lot to take in. When high school is over, you are released into the real world, where you are forced to become an ADULT. It can be a little nerve-wrecking, but it is all part of life. It can actually also be fun, as this is when you start to find yourself, and figure out who you are as a person.

Senior year was probably my favourite year of high school. It was the most stressful, yet also the most fun. Sometimes I wish I could go back and live through it again. There's always something about walking down those hallways and smelling old gym socks. Not only that, but senior year was when I grew as a person. I realized how important my hobbies are to me, what kind of people I love being around, and what kind of person I am in general. High school will be over before you know it, so with these tips, remember to enjoy senior year and make it matter!!