Things All CofC Students Know To Be True About Finals Season

11 Things All CofC Students Know To Be True About Finals Season

The most dreaded 1-2 weeks of the semester is about to start.

37
https://today.cofc.edu/2015/01/20/south-carolina-historical-society-officially-reopens-colleges-addlestone-library/
TodayCofC

Every college student understands the pressure of finals and how hard that week can be, but there are some struggles only CofC students can relate to.

1. It's almost impossible to find an open table at the library 

Addlestone library is neither small nor large, there's usually not an issue finding an open table for you and your friends to sit, but during finals season, this is nearly impossible. Expect all the study rooms to be booked and all tables to be taken.

2. There's absolutely no parties going on

The week leading up to finals and the week of finals is usually pretty quiet on campus. There's not many parties, if any at all. This can be looked at from a positive perspective because since there is nothing going on, you have less distractions and can get right to studying!

3. Everyone's a little on edge

We're all tired. Maybe a little brain dead, maybe a little sleep deprived, maybe a mix of the two. At the end of the year, everyone is so ready to be done.

4. The professors are just as ready to be done as much as the students are 

By the end of the year, our professors are tired too. We're all ready for summer break. Some professors may even cancel class to give us the day off.

5. Review sessions are your best friend 

Some professors hold optional review sessions for the final. A lot of students take these for granted or choose to not attend, but a professor to take time out of their schedule to help students prepare and study for the final is extremely kind.

6. You'll do anything to get your professor to make a study guide for the final

It's up to the professor if they provide a study guide for the final or not. One of my professors required that 70% of the class do our course evaluations for him to provide a study guide. It's always worth asking your professor if they could provide a study guide or outline of what to study for the final.

7. Having to write a final paper instead of an exam is the best

Some professors assign a final paper that you have to submit by a certain deadline. This is 100% better than taking a final exam. You can start the paper earlier and get a head start on it. After you finish this paper, you have more time for your other finals.

8. Your normal caffeine intake for a week may double  

It's normal for students to pull some late nights while preparing for finals. A lot of people rely on caffeine to get them through this.

9. Your social life is going to decline for the week

While spending endless hours studying, meeting with professors, and turning in your final assignments, you may not hav was much time for your friends as you usually do. This is totally normal and they are probably experiencing the same thing.

10. The amazing feeling when you finish your hardest final

There's always going to be one final that you dread more than the rest. You have to study extra for it and it causes you more stress than all your other exams. When you finally finish this final, you feel relieved and ready to take on the rest of the week.

11. You've already made a ton of summer plans

Summer break is so exciting, 3 months of no school and reuniting with all your friends from home. Whether you're staying in Charleston for the summer or going home, you probably already have your family vacation planned a ton of fun plans with all your friends! This excitement makes finals week a little more bearable.

At the end of the day, finals are difficult for everyone, but it's all worth it to know that summer break is so soon! We can do it, #gocougs