The Top 10 Iconic Remix Albums That Define Pop Culture History

Some remix albums define a moment in pop culture and these are the ten best.

2853
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjx9oSJDAVQ&ab_channel=JenniferLopezVEVO

Remix albums might be turning into a thing of the past. With the rise of streaming, remix albums, like greatest hits sets, seem to be an outdated art form. There are many who view them as a mere cash grab. However, there was a time when remix albums were an exciting addition to a music lovers' collection.

Here are the top 10 iconic remix albums that defined pop culture history.

10. Madonna - "Remixed & Revisited"

Madonna's second remix album heavily focuses on her "American Life" album. It also features a new twist on her eighties hit "Into the Groove" with Missy Elliot as well as the iconic VMA performance with Britney Spears.

9. Britney Spears - "B In The Mix, The Remixes Volume 2"

Towards the end of her "Femme Fatale" era, a second remix album was announced by Spears. It features new twists on hits like "Womanizer," "3," and "Till The World Ends." It also features an absolutely dreamy remix of "Piece of Me."

8. Lady Gaga - "The Remix"

While the US edition was underwhelming, the European track list for Lady Gaga's first remix album was a little monster's dream! Featuring remixes by the Pet Shop Boys and Stuart Price, it also included an acoustic version of "Poker Face."

7. Janet Jackson - "Control: The Remixes"

Janet Jackson's first remix album revolved around her breakthrough "Control" album. Jackson liked the remixes for "The Pleasure Principle" and "When I Think of You" so much, she used them for the songs' respective music videos. The album features contributions by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis as well as the brilliant Shep Pettibone.

6. Jennifer Lopez - "J To Tha L-O! The Remixes"

Jennifer Lopez was riding high on the success of her first two albums when this remix album was released. The remixes for "I'm Real" and "Ain't It Funny" became huge, signature hits for Lopez. They helped the album to become one of the best selling remix albums of all time. it also includes the incredible Hex Hector remix of "Waiting For Tonight."

5. Michael Jackson - "Blood On The Dance Floor: HIStory In The Mix"

It's no surprise that the King of Pop would have the best selling remix album of all time. Michael Jackson's "Blood On The Dance Floor" album was released in 1997, during his "HIStory" world tour. The album features five new tracks and remixes of songs from the "HIStory" album.

4. Britney Spears - "B In The Mix, The Remixes"

The Princess of Pop showcased brilliantly crafted remixes for her first remix album. Surprisingly, this collection isn't very hits-heavy. The majority of the album's track listing focuses on Spears' fourth album, "In The Zone." There's a particular emphasis on its deep cuts, such as "Touch of My Hand," "Breathe On Me," and "Early Mornin'." There's even a previously unreleased track, "And Then We Kiss," from the "In The Zone" sessions.

3. Madonna - "You Can Dance"

Madonna established herself as a pop icon with her "True Blue" album in 1986. So it should come as no surprise that she released her first remix album a year later. "You Can Dance" borrows its title from the lyrics to Madonna's hit "Into The Groove." It's one of many hits given the remix treatment for this collection. There's also a previously unreleased track from the "True Blue" sessions, "Spotlight."

2. Janet Jackson - "Janet Remixed"

Janet Jackson's "Janet" album was a huge hit in the nineties, so much so that it has become her highest selling album. With "Janet Remixed," Jackson gives the remix treatment to several songs on the album. There are two B-Sides included here as well. This is a collection of pure nineties house bliss from the likes of David Morales and Brothers In Rhythm.

1. Mariah Carey - "The Remixes"

Mariah Carey is a songwriter whose influences come from a variety of places. Her tracks aren't simply given to a DJ with the mere intent of promoting the single. From house to hip hop, Carey showcases her talent and versatility with her 2003 remix album. It deserves the recognition, because Carey puts effort into her remixes most other artists do not.

From Your Site Articles