The Top 10 Best Songs of 2020 So Far

The Top 10 Best Songs of 2020 So Far

Here are the top 10 best songs of this year so far in my opinion.

18
The Top 10 Best Songs of 2020 So Far
Photo by Juja Han on Unsplash

2020 has been a wild ride. A global pandemic, police brutality, and a potential Kanye presidency has some of us convinced that this year was all bad. On the bright side, there were plenty of tunes to keep us dancing through the madness. From chart-topping hits to emotional ballads, here is a list of what my ten favorite singles are from this year.

10. Rain on Me by Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande

These iconic pop icons collaborate to make the infectious pop ballad "Rain on Me." This catchy tune is an ode to the dance-pop rhythms of the 90s while serving plenty of strong vocals and high notes. The lyrics--"I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive"-- are a reminder to embrace your struggles and use them as an opportunity for growth.

9. Take Yourself Home by Troye Sivan

Alt-pop sensation Troye Sivan gives off nostalgic vibes with this dreamy, synth-filled song. The song tells about returning to your place of comfort--or returning home--after going through a rough time. Combined with soft vocals and beats, this underground electro pop tune will leave you in a happy trance.

8. Savage (Remix) by Megan Thee Stallion and Beyonce

This fierce track screams "GIRL POWER" as Houston powerhouses Beyonce and Megan collab to make a raw and fabulous rap extravangaza. The beat is insanely catchy and fun, the lyrics are sassy (moody, nasty, etc,) and the flows and vocals given from these two queens are incredible! It is the anthem for 2020's Hot Girl Summer...even if said summer has to happen in quarantine.

7. Like That by Doja Cat ft. Gucci Mane

All I can say is that I'm glad I knew this song before it was big. Doja Cat has a fun, larger-than-life personality and in this song, it shows! Like That is an upbeat tune, filled with plenty of bass, making this the perfect dance tune! The lyrics are catchy and simplistic, so it's an easy song to sing along to. Not to mention, the video is super cute and filled with references from "Sailor Moon," for the Anime lovers out there.

6. Darkness by Eminem

Darker and more somber than the songs above, Eminem uses his storytelling skills to make this emotional and heavy-hearted rap ode to the Las Vegas shooting. His clever double entendres make it so that you could believe that he is talking about himself until the end nears and he is instead rapping from the point of view of the Las Vegas shooter. This song is a morbid yet brilliant and lyrical call for action.

5. Go Crazy by Chris Brown and Young Thug

Chris Brown is known for his plethora of dancey hip-hop hits and this song is no exception. The beat is whimsical and boppy and will get you on your feet and dancing. Chris Brown serves plenty of soulful yet poppy vocals. Young Thug is a nice addition.

4. death bed (coffee for your head) by Powfu ft. beabadoobee

The combination of beabadoobee's contagious and haunting chorus over a simple guitar melody gives this song a peaceful, chill vibe. The lyrics, however, tells a tragic tale of a young couple where one of them dies young. Powfu delivers the lyrics, too, with a simple flow and rhythm, that almost seems more like talking than rapping. The song radiates simplicity but it is crafted so carefully that this song--which is just shy of three minutes--seems an act of musical genius.

3. Do it by Chloe & Halle

Do It is the lead single off their album "Ungodly Hour," but the vocals delivered on this song are anything but ungodly. On this track, the sisters delivered smooth, sultry, and ethereal vocals, countless harmonies and high notes, and still they managed to create something fun, simple, and dance worthy. This song manages to be upbeat and fun, laidback, beautiful, and healing all at once.

2. Godzilla by Eminem ft. Juice WRLD

Okay, it's pretty obvious by now that I'm an Eminem fan, but this song is amazing even from an objective view. The production is bold and bass-boosted, as Eminem flawlessly switches between flows. The song is filled with bars ("'Cause I make bands and I call getting cheese a cakewalk) and clever wordplay ("Evil half of the Bad Meets"). The song also has a cutthroat hook from the late, great Juice WRLD.

1. Perfect Way to Die by Alicia Keys

And saving the best for last, Alicia Keys brings us back to the harsh reality of America today in this heart wrenching and soulful ballad about the unfairness of racism and injustice in the country. Keys' raw vocals and brutally honest lyrics over a simple piano melody creates a song that is powerful, intense, and hauntingly beautiful and emotional.