A Moment In Time: The Time Community Theater

Have a hell of a *Time* in Oshkosh, Wisconsin

Do you ever find yourself feeling a little nostalgic? Whether you’re 50 or 13, it’s always fun to take a night and watch one of the cult classics. The Time Community Theater is located right in the center of downtown Oshkosh, Wisconsin! You can see all of retro films you remember from your childhood, and even those you never got a chance to see! It’s like taking a trip back in time and putting yourself in the theater for classics like "Labyrinth," "The Breakfast Club," "Fight Club," "Evil Dead" and so on and so forth. The list is truly never ending and the Time Community Theater is always offering up a night with one of these timeless films! It’s simply entertaining and affordable.

The Time Community Theater a non-profit establishment that is run 100 percent by local volunteers who go unpaid for their work. These wonderful and creative people simply want to create a space in which the community can flourish in an affordable venue for the arts. The theater is open regularly during most Fridays and Saturdays, creating a great way to relax from school and/or work!

The Time Community Theater is a cash-only establishment; tickets are a measly $3 each or you can even plan to go out to one of their “Free Friday” films! The free films are sponsored by other local establishments and movie-lovers, and if you stay till the end you will have the chance to win awesome prizes!

That’s another great thing about The Time—it supports local businesses of downtown Oshkosh and these local businesses also put in the effort to support The Time. Clearly there is a great sense of family and passion in downtown Oshkosh—something you definitely want to be a part of if you’re not already!

One of my favorite aspects that The Time offers is the “Friday Fright Nights”! Generally the theater will play horror classics, along with some truly aged ‘B’-movies that will have you laughing your ass off at the “special effects” of the time.

If you’re a Rocky Horror Picture Show fan, boy have you just found your next complex! Each fall season the Time Community Theater hosts an interactive showing of "Rocky Horror Picture Show," and I assure you, it’s a great time! This show fills up fast, so it’s important you get there early. Every year that I have gone I have been met with a line of beautifully eccentric and lewd locals—all lined up in downtown Oshkosh. This show is $5 at the door for those 17+. This night is always a spectacular one, filled with sexy costume contests and hilariously crude games. Tons of prizes are offered up to the crowd, and not only do you get to watch the best musical of all time, but it’s as if you’re truly a part of it! Everyone is out of their seats—dancing, yelling, singing, and throwing a variety of crazy stuff! I’ll tell you, "with a bit of a mind flip… You’re into a time slip…" At the time!

If you’re unsure about taking the trip, just take the leap and go! It’s a beautiful experience, even if you’re going to see “The Horror of Party Beach” on your first visit (which is what I saw my first time at The Time), I promise it’s something you won’t soon forget. How can you forget a pack of gilled monsters that ransack the beach and a slumber party to the sounds of some greatly-bad rock n’ roll? Don’t like any of the films that are showing? You can always recommend a film and the Board is always ready and willing to take your suggestions!

I can honestly say that every trip I’ve taken to The Time has been a memorable one. The volunteer staff is friendly and passionate about what they do. Any group of people who work this hard to revitalize their town and bring more of the arts to the public is much more worthy of your time and money than the next big box-office film. I would much rather put my funding towards a throwback and a great time than towards the local franchise.

If you’re just as inspired by these fun-loving people, you too can volunteer yourself, or make a donation to keep these events running! If not for the kindness and passion of both movie-goers and volunteers, The Time Community Theater would not have their doors open today.

Go see the website and like their Facebook page for more information!

http://www.timecommunitytheater.com