Abortion

The Thing About Abortion

It's confusing.

9
The Thing About Abortion

Did you know there was more than just pro-life and pro-choice? I didn't, until a couple of months ago. I learned about being pro-abortion, which is different from pro-choice in that one supports the actual act of abortion and not just having the option of it available.

And it got me thinking. So this is what I think.

I don't believe that unborn children should be killed before they have a chance at life. I also don't believe that women, or any law-abiding person, should have their freedom of choice taken away from them.

Do you see the problem? Both sides are right. I think that's part of why we argue so much. We all want to be right, but we know someone has to be wrong. So it's all just confusion and chaos.

Is there a solution that would work for everyone? I used to think there was, that there had to be *something* we could compromise on. But I don't know anymore. Nothing in this world is simple.

I might say I'm pro-life. I do believe that children have a right to be born, even in difficult circumstances. And believe me, I understand that there are difficult circumstances. I've seen it up close. But I still don't think that necessitates taking another being's whole potential at life.

Then there's the problem. What if it were me? What if I were pregnant, and I had to choose between my life or my child's? What would it really come down to? I hate thinking about it, but it's necessary to think about in order to understand why the option needs to remain open.

I would not call myself pro-abortion, but I'd never call myself anti-choice. If we didn't have people who protested for pro-choice, what would happen? Not only in the category of pregnancy, but in all medical care, and in our private lives?

What would we be forced to do? What other convenient medical services would be taken away from us? And if abortion were made completely illegal, how many mothers would die or be injured trying to have an illegal abortion?

I don't know. Maybe I'm just misinformed. But I don't think so. Either way, I think it's important to take in as much information as possible. We have to be informed from all sides in order to make the decisions that will change the world for the better.