The Temptations Of Nihilism

The Temptations Of Nihilism

Working through the ideas brought to light by nihilists

73
The Temptations Of Nihilism
matadornet

On the first day of class we were asked to share our highest value. As of late, however, we have shifted our discussions to focusing on more thought provoking, less comfortable questions proposed by philosophers such as Nietzsche, Max Horkheimer, and Theodor W. Adorno. One particular conversation encouraged us to consider the answer to the following question in greater depth: Does life even have a true meaning? In regards to the first day of class, I must ask: everything we believe holds value, but do we also consider them to be meaningful? To obtain a meaningful life must we discover purpose, or are we able to obtain a meaningful life through fulfilling our values to our best ability?

In reference, my highest value is happiness, and thus, if I am leading a happy life, it is also a meaningful life. For many, that statement alone simply may not do the trick. Nihilism, which is a philosophical concept counteracting ideas of religion, life purpose, and enlightenment, is a road map reflecting bumpy roads, sharp turns, and misleading street signs. Even though this may be the case, Nihilism is still very tempting to fall into and rather thought provoking for the average person. Is Nihilism the truth that we as humans choose to ignore? Are we so caught in the fritz of ignorance being bliss that we ignore the basic problems holding weight directly in front of us? After pondering this topic, I have concluded that life has no defined meaning. We search for life to have meaning because, if it doesn’t, what is the point? Quite literally, just like the cliché, life is exactly what you make it. Every person has a natural draw to answer the question of why we are here.

Religion used to provide answers for those with questions pursuing life and its every day interactions. Religion was the glue to purpose for many people for as long as history can remember. Religion built stories and history from the ground up. As it is very obvious we have many different represented religions in our world, it took them all time and work to get to this point of representation and definition. From the beginning, religions shifted and more stories expanded into different stems of religion. With that, we had many different beliefs spread amongst humanity. A nihilist would tend to reject all of these belief systems that have been created. Religion provides purpose and meaning, specifically through stories of the afterlife. That said, this purpose established through these belief systems is one reason why Nihilists reject religion, because there is no ultimate purpose. Nihilists tend to believe that people search for answers out of fear of the unknown. Essentially, people would rather feed themselves lies than face the fear brought to them by the unknown.

Reason is essential for humans to provide understanding. Nihilism would say there is no reason to be found. That said, while people are looking for it, said reason, I truly think that they find something to fill that void they are so desperate to fill. If there were no voids to fill, why would we get ourselves out of bed in the morning? As humans, we find things that keep us going, pursuing what has been promised to expand intrinsic thoughts. That drive, that pursuit of purpose keeps us busy, until we reach the end, death.

As many would wish to believe that there is an afterlife, Nihilism rejects that idea entirely. When people die, they are dead. Per Adorno and Horkheimer, there is nothing forward, just closed eyes and the rest of the 99.999 % of the history of the universe. We are a blink in the eye of the universe with no ultimate purpose or change to strive for, we are just stories shared through intellect and time. If more people had this general idea it would be like quitting your believed life purpose cold turkey. Those who have developed full Nihilist ideas are objectified to being considered pessimists, rather than realists.

People are always telling stories about how when you know you’re going to die soon you do everything you have ever wanted to do. Instead of shying away from death, they begin to face death head on. Since this is such a common theme, wouldn’t that be the same response to recognizing the lack of purpose? Need for meaning. This is a vital need of the human intellect and reflects why religion and reason are developed for explanation of the biggest three letter word in the English language - why.

As Nietzsche is studied, it Is recognized that his thoughts could be described as follows, “nihilism's impact on the culture and values of the 20th century has been pervasive, its apocalyptic tenor spawning a mood of gloom and a good deal of anxiety, anger, and terror” (Pratt) That said, Nihilism takes the aforementioned drive and purpose away from a person. There is no longer a reason to get up in the morning if there truly is no meaning for any of the actions to follow. Many would ask: does nihilism give us helpful truth or debilitating explanation of things we have never been able to completely understand? If instead of using faith as a scape goat for reason, we would recognize our lack of a soul purpose and realize the void and lacking of a scape goat will eventually be explained by science.

Science is a vital explanation for nihilists, that said, they are also wary to entirely buy into it. As stated by Adorno and Horkheimer, “What human beings seek to learn from nature is how to use it to dominate wholly both it and human beings. Nothing else counts. Ruthless towards itself, the Enlightenment has eradicated the last remnant of its self-awareness. Only though which does violence to itself is hard enough to shatter myths” (Adorno and Horkheimer) describing humans as essentially barbaric at nature with an inability to accept the things we do not know.

The nihilist ideology developed by late philosophers Nietzsche, Horkheimer, and Adorno, is one that questions the basis for religion, life purpose, and enlightenment. Without these three things, human life is effectively insignificant and pointless. Furthermore, it states that regardless of whether or not the human race adheres to nihilism, they would have no adverse effect on the rest of the universe. Though the foundation for nihilism may seem extreme for the society we currently live in to adapt to, it does produce an intriguing set of arguments.

Works Cited

Pratt, Alan. "Nihilism." Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 Apr. 2017.

Horkheimer, Max, and Theodor W. Adorno. Dialect of Enlightenment. N.Y.: Herder & Herder, 1972. Print.