The Sun And Her Flowers Is A Book For Everyone

These Issues Aren't Just Women's Issues

825
Photo by Marko Blažević on Unsplash

Rupi Kaur, the best selling author of "milk and honey" came out with a second book this past year. Her second book, "the sun and her flowers" is filled with such emotion just like "milk and honey. "Also like "milk and honey," it is broken into sections; wilting, falling, rooting, rising, and blooming which describes “self-abandonment, honoring one’s roots, love, and empowering oneself.” Both of Rupi’s books are amazing, and I encourage everyone to read both of them. I’ve heard some people say that these books are only for women. I disagree. The issues discussed in these poems are not what I would consider women’s issues, but rather human and societal issues.

One thing I love about both "milk and honey" and the "sun and her flowers," is that they do not only discuss the happy times but the sad ones as well. The first chapter of the book, wilting, is filled with sadness and despair. This sections opening poem is “on the last day of love my heart cracked inside my body.” Every individual can relate to the pain of a breaking heart.

The falling is also a section consumed by grief, depression, and self-loathing. However, just like the ancient saying that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, Rupi ends the chapter with acceptance; acceptance of one’s body and life. Two of my favorite short poems from this section are “what is stronger than the human heart which shatters over and over and still lives” and “here you are living despite it all.” Humans are resilient, and sometimes we just need to let time do what it must to help us heal; just tick on by.

Rooting, the third section of the book is about finding a place to call home. Many of the poems discuss Kaur’s parents' journey to finding and creating a new home as immigrants. Other poems discuss how people are always leaving their homes and how you should always respect where you came from. One of the strongest poems in this section states “perhaps we are all immigrants trading one home for another first we leave the womb for air then the suburbs for the filthy city in search of a better life some of us just happen to leave entire countries.” All humans are in search of the same thing; a home where you can thrive, find love, peace, and safety.

Rising. To rise above challenges, stereotypes, and all life throws are you.To rise to the occasion. To always stand up, try again, and to “never feel guilty for starting again.” This section of the book helps to reinforce the notion that you should never give up on anything you want in life. You deserve the best, so stand tall and go get it.

Blooming, the final chapter, is about being your whole self and accepting every portion of what makes you, you. This is by far my favorite section of the book and the most powerful. This world is constantly trying to make us tear each other down and envy one another, but that is no way to live. Acceptance is key to life as indicated by the following poems:

“i will no longer compare my path to others - "i refuse to do a disservice to my life";” “learning to not envy someone else's blessing is what grace looks like;” and “their concept of beauty is manufactured i am not - 'human.'”

For those of you have not had the chance to dive into this fabulous and relatable book, it’s time you crack it open.