Let's Talk About Suicide

Let's Talk About Suicide

When you feel like giving up, just remember the reason why you held on for so long.

28
Let's Talk About Suicide
Psych Central

A little under a year ago, I got that call that everyone dreads. You know what I'm talking about. The one where your world is turned upside down in a matter of 30 seconds max, and you will forever remember what was happening in that moment. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Seriously, let's talk about suicide. It's not a bad word. It's here and it happens. It's not some elephant in the room to pretend like it's not here, so let's get educated.

After suffering from depression since I was about 12-13 years old, I know how it feels to be alone. I know how it feels to think that suicide is the only way out. I'm almost 20 years old and still battling depression. Bad days are bad and good days are good. People with depression feel their lowest of lows and their highest of highs. But let me tell you, bad days where someone is feeling their lowest is nothing to mess with.

It's hard to sit in a classroom of 30 and be able to point out the one with depression. Most of the time, people are able to mask those emotions and put on a show for everyone like they're okay. They may not be. Others can hardly get out of bed some days because the depression is so strong. Even on your darkest days, the sun will rise the next morning. There is hope.

I have spent countless nights crying and feeling alone like no one understands me. That's when the thoughts hit the hardest. Nothing screams "I'm feeling alone" like laying in bed unable to sleep at 4 am gasping for air because you're crying so hard wondering when the feeling will go away. Trust me.

Ironically enough, I'm not the first person to feel alone and unfortunately, I won't be the last. Make sure to let your friends and family know how valued and loved they are. A simple thing we can do as humans is make sure no one ever has to feel alone.

Don't wait until it's too late to acknowledge that someone is showing signs of depression.

Be on the look out for signs in other people. If you or a loved one is suffering from depression, there is hope. Visit here for more information.

“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe