The Sophomore Slump: The Better Side of Things

Always choose to look at the bright side!

15
Wikia

We all have those days where we just feel off of our game. But I can't help but feel as if something is different. Freshman year is an enormous whirlwind. For most it's our first time away from home and it's the biggest taste of freedom that we've ever gotten. But, as the year winds down and breaks pass, I really must say that sophomore year is different.

The biggest change is that, by now, you definitely know your way around. Nothing is exactly new and you might be busier than ever. I know that once I got into the swing of things became involved in ten times as much on campus. You might have even developed a routine by now and it's gotten kind of boring.

Now, some may raise their brows and declare college as some of the best years of their lives. While this may be true for some, the magic isn’t really there unless you seek new things or meet new people. I've really come to see that a lot of my friends are hitting some kind of "sophomore slump." It makes me sad because, even though I'm in the swing of things, I personally think that this year is tremendously better than my freshman year. Although I can't really compare my life to theirs--they have heavier leadership positions on campus and I can imagine that it's just the stress bogging them down. If you find yourself in the same position as them then you might also agree. The best way to battle this slump is by looking at the bright side! Here are the best parts of sophomore year thus far in my eyes.

1. By now, if you haven't figured out what you like, at least you know what you don't like.

I entered college declared as a Marketing major. I ran for the hills and switched to Communications right after freshman orientation (no offense to the ever brave Marketers of the world). I also thought that I could pick up an Accounting minor and decided to take Accounting 101. After an entire semester of 8 a.m. accounting labs and the 90 minute formal lecture afterwards I realized that it was definitely not my thing. Let's just say that I declared my double major in Global Studies/Communications and couldn't be happier.

2. You have a better idea of who's actually there for you.

Let's face it. The amount of people who you considered your friends at the start of freshman year likely does not match up with the amount you would now. Like high school, this number is likely to change by the time you graduate and maybe even beyond that. But, if anything, isn't it better to pour your heart into relationships with other people that really get you and value you for who you are--or at least make an effort? College is a serious balancing act and those who make time for you are the people who really love you, even if its just a long phone call once in a while or grabbing lunch. If it seems like no time has passed at all then they're a real friend. Hang on to them.

3. You know yourself better.

Study habits, living habits, eating habits--you've probably had good amount of time to learn the ropes and are better in touch with yourself. By now you know whether or not flashcards are a productive study choice, if you can survive with less than 4 hours of sleep, and so on and so forth. Would I recommend that you keep pushing your limits in regards to sleep? Absolutely not. But you should set aside proper "me time." Put yourself first. Being involved is nice, but it’s all too easy to spread yourself too thin at this point.

For the freshman reading this, don’t get worked up about things eventually getting boring. As cliché as it may sound, it really is what you make of it. It ultimately all comes down to how you care for yourself and put yourself out there. The more introverted crowd might squirm at that thought, but bear with me.

If you find yourself in a slump then the best recommendation that I have would be to go on walks, pick up a new hobby, and just take care of yourself. If you really think that it's time for a change then I highly suggest taking a step out of your comfort zone. Do something that you think that you'd never do. You're capable of anything! It's important to acknowledge these slumps and, rather than just rolling with them, fight back. It's the best way to be better than who you were yesterday.