The Song Of The Cosmos

The Song Of The Cosmos

A poem on the song that fills the universe.

38
The Song Of The Cosmos
Janelle Honeycutt Photography

The universe is full of music. We hear the bee that buzzes as it collects pollen, the percussion of rain on the roof and the harmony of wind as it wails and howls in our ears. I believe music is not just a set of notes and patterns created by man for entertainment but a foundational part of existence itself. Music is one of the only forces that spans all cultures and generations and is universally recognized as a means of communicating beauty and truth in a single art form.

Just like any other force of nature, I believe music was created by God as an objectively beautiful part of the nature of the cosmos, regardless of whether or not man can hear it. Thus, music is a force which man recognizes through his growing understanding of the universe. The time at which one "wakes up" to the world of music is a truly sacred gift of God. Waking up to music means growing in contact with the foundation of the cosmos and thereby more excellently participating in human existence and flourishing.

One of my favorite quotes regarding music is by an 18th century theologian named Jonathan Edwards who says, "The best, most beautiful and most perfect way that we have of expressing a sweet concord of mind to each other is by music."

I wrote this poem to explain my sentiments on what it means to "wake up" to music and come into contact with the song of the universe. May it allow you to listen more closely to the beautiful melody which the cosmos is always singing.

Song of the Cosmos

I believe it was intended

That there be a time in every person's life

In which their ears wake up

And they find that the tune of their heart is not alone

But that they are finally able to hear

The never-ending song of the cosmos

And their souls are thereby revived

Simply because they have been introduced

To the astoundingly powerful force that is music.

Though the volume at which it plays may vary,

The earth never ceases to vibrate with sound

And it is always singing a tune for us

Whether through emitting a low hum,

Or through the loud thundering of skies,

Or if it even makes its presence known

To the human ear at all.

For why should man's hearing be the judge

Of the melody which the earth puts forth?

But the most beautiful harmony I know of

Is when the tune of our hearts

And the song of the cosmos

Become one-

Where the sound waves and vibrations that fill our ears

Echo the ones that fill our souls

And we are able to contribute

To that restorative synthesis

Which we call music.