To The Senior Ready For College

To The Senior Ready For College

Be thankful for the time you have now, times will change soon.

16
To The Senior Ready For College
Google

It's the second semester of your senior year, so senioritis has already kicked in...big time. You are always ready for that last bell, so you can either head home or go play the sport that you love, you are ready to go take a nap and not have any homework to get done, you are just ready for it all to end.

But, what you are not taking in at the time is that you are fast forwarding your life right now, not knowing that in six months you are wishing that you could go home to see your family one more time, you are going to truly miss the sport that takes away your stress, and you won't have time to take a nap because of all of the homework that you are needing to get down.

When someone tells you the phrase, "Don't rush your senior year," by all means, listen to them. The only thing you will miss from high school is not having to stress every day, seeing your friends every day, and not being able to play the sport or activity that you love.

The friends that you have been friends with for over twelve years are also going to college and most likely it is a different one, so they are going to make new friends. You are not going to be able to talk every single day because working a job, keeping up with school, and getting the right amount of sleep is going to start weighing you down.

It is going to be okay.

You are going to miss your mom, especially when you get sick, even if right now she is getting on your absolute nerve. You are going to have to learn the ways of feeling comfortable in uncomfortable positions. You are going to have to get up and make your own soup and crackers because mommy and daddy aren't going to drive three to four hours to do it for you.

You are going to need to learn how to study. I know you are wondering, "How in the world do I learn how to study?" It is not easy teaching yourself because the person in your study group could be learning it in a totally different way. You are not going to be able to get through your assignments alone without being confused, so go ahead and make friends with the girl or guy beside you on the first day of class. Do not be shy.

You are going to learn that you are going to be broke. Mommy and daddy are not going to continue putting money in your account for you to go grocery shopping every time you get tired of the eateries. You are going to learn how to make twenty dollars spread for a two week period. It is not that your parents are going to continue doing it, it is that after the first couple of times of asking for extra cash you are going to start feeling bad of always relying on your parents...so get a job. Welcome to the real world of trying to balance your work, education, and social life altogether.

You are going to wish your best friend could drive five minutes to see you, but that is not going to happen. You are going to learn their schedules like the back of your hand because a five minute FaceTime call is going to start making your day. When you come home you are going to start hearing all of their stories as you tell them yours and then you are going to have to catch up on each other's lives as well.

Home is not going to be home anymore. Let me repeat that, when you come home for a weekend...it is not going to be the same. You'll start seeing stuff pile up in your room from time to time since your room is now empty, you will be oh so thankful for the home cooked meal that your mom made, you will continuously check your phone's time because you are already ready to be back at college, and the feeling of not being welcomed is going to hit you like a freight train. College is your new home and if you do not miss it by the second day of being actually home, then you should reconsider your decision on college.

Classes are going to be hard. When you see a college student now post that they received an 85 on their last test...you do not see the 12-15 hours they put into studying for that test. You do not see all of the flashcards piled up on their desk, the cups of coffee sitting on their table to keep them awake, and the bags under their eyes from not being able to sleep.

No, I am not trying to scare you.

College is going to be the absolute best time of your life, but no one tells you this information before you leave home.

So in six months when you are moving in, let your mom unpack your stuff and when she leaves you can move it to the way that you want it. Start saving your money because you are going to need it on the most random items.

In six months, you are going to be staying up late in your room with your new roommate, getting to know them and more. You will be knocking on the girls and guys room down the hall to go get lunch with you and you will be sitting in the community room with your new family watching episodes on tv.

Here's to the best four years of your life, but take the time to appreciate the time that you are given now. You will miss it one day.