The Review: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

An interesting twist on the Manson Family featuring a washed up stunt man and an alcoholic actor.

49

Most movie trailers these days reveal too much information. Many people are starting to shy away from even watching trailers as so much of the movie gets spoiled in those 2-5 minutes. That's why I went to this movie 100% blind. Outside the movie poster and cast list, I knew absolutely nothing going into this film.

Spoilers ahead ~tread heavily~

In the first act we are introduced to our main character, Rick Dalton, played by Leonardo DiCaprio. Dalton is a washed up western actor who is trying to find relevancy in the changing movie industry. Dalton hires his former stunt double Cliff Booth, played by Brad Pitt, to be his personal driver. Dalton longs desperately to fit into the new age of Hollywood, his neighbors, Sharon Tate and Roman Pilanski, could be his ticket in....

Throughout the movie we discover that Booth and Dalton's relationship extends beyond professional and is a true friendship and bond the two share. They rely and depend on each other throughout the film.

As this first act progresses we are introduced to Sharon Tate, played by Margot Robbie, and Roman Pilanski, played by Rafal Zawierucha. For those who are unaware of the Manson murders, Sharon Tate was one of the most notorious victims of the family's murder spree.

(I don't want to spend this whole article talking about the Manson family murders so instead I recommend listening to Morbid: a True Crime Podcast, they cover a few episodes on Charles Manson and the murders).

As the movie progresses....

Dalton lands a hit role, he cries to a child actor on set about being washed up, he spends time with Booth, and he eventually gets married and has to lay off Booth.

Booth's past comes up frequently, he fights with other actors, he gets accused of murdering his wife, he bonds with his cool dog, and he spends some time with Dalton. Booth also goes on a visit to Spahn Ranch. In the movie the ranch was a former set for a western he and Dalton worked on together. Spahn Ranch is where the Manson Family lives. Booth causes some issues with the cult followers and drives off; however, not before buying a joint dipped in acid/LSD.

Sharon Tate goes and watches herself in a movie, she talks to Charles Manson when he shows up at her house. She lets him know the record producer he's looking for doesn't live there anymore. (Something Charles neglects to tell his followers). Sharon becomes pregnant.

Roman Pilanski says two things and then goes out of town the rest of the movie.

Now that you're caught up let's talk about that final scene.

Tex and three others decide to murder Terry, the producer Charles was looking for earlier in the film. This means they're planning to go into pregnant Sharon Tate's home, kill her and her friends who are currently staying with her, not knowing that this producer is no longer living there.

This is where Tarantino takes quite a bit of liberty when it comes to this story.

Their car while parked outside Dalton's home is loud and disruptive causing Dalton to go outside and yell at them and tell them to leave his road. This makes him the new target.

It is easy to forget throughout this scene that Booth has just taken his dog on a walk and smoked a joint laced with hallucinogenics. Booth and his dog go absolutely ballistic on the three cultists as they try murdering him. Dalton is completely oblivious lounging in the pool, eventually gets his flame thrower and incinerates one of the intruders. This scene goes from 0-100 real quick.

Now for the critical review...

Overall, this movie is very enjoyable. It is aesthetically brilliant and has some great cinematography. This movie does not go without its flaws.

The final scene shows the most effort when it comes to cinematography, but it lacks effort when it comes to the editing. Personally, I would've rather seen more of an acid trip-like tone to this scene.

Margot Robbie was incredibly underused as Sharon Tate throughout this movie. She did a great job with what she was given.

The writing lacked a lot of intimate and real dialogue. A lot of the dialogue is story telling or character setup rather than actual development. The writing also drags immensely at certain points.

What made this movie the most enjoyable for me were the Manson family easter eggs. The movie has a high rewatch value and deserved its academy award nominations in my opinion.

Now go listen to that podcast and rewatch the movie, you'll like it more.

Rating: 7/10