The Reality Is, Your Freshman Year Of College Will Be Insanely Hard

Yet you'll have the most incredible time.
75

Parties, new friendships, pursuing your dreams, doesn't it sound fantastic? Especially if you attend what everyone considers to be a "top-tier" university, there is absolutely nothing that could be wrong in your life. Putting that stigma around freshman year of college is exactly what's wrong with this whole thing. You spend all of high school thinking that if you can just make it to college, all of your problems will vanish.

Well, I'm here to tell you that that is completely and utterly false.

Freshman year has been the most challenging and exhausting time of my life.

You don't listen when they tell you that college is hard. You brush it off thinking you can handle it. I mean, you got an incredible GPA and ACT score, so obviously, these people are just inferior to you. These are some of the thoughts I had coming to TCU.

Just a few weeks in, God began to wreck my life in ways I never thought possible. I was failing Biology and Chemistry within the second week of school and my dreams of being a dentist were slipping through my fingers. You come to college with this idea of what you want to do with your life and it just gets completely flipped upside down.

The harsh reality of college is that you probably won't end up majoring in what you came to college with. I cannot even begin to explain the number of people that told me that being a Biology major was insanely hard. I thought I was above everybody when I came in. I got knocked down a few pegs very quickly when I received a 4% on my first Chemistry quiz. Yes, you read that right. 4%.

Yet, I was so focused on my failure in science that I didn't realize I was excelling in my Communications class. As the semester continued, I realized that science was not getting any easier and ended up dropping Chemistry and Biology. Saying goodbye to my childhood dream of dentistry was tough but now I can happily say that I am a Communications major and Journalism minor with absolutely no regrets. I am so much happier now, knowing that I will be taking classes that I love and excel in.

Fortunately, they are right when they say you will meet your best friends in college. I have been surrounded by so much love and support over these past few months as I've dealt with changing my major a few times and failing/dropping my science classes. The people that tell you college is hard, they are right.

Although, the people that tell you college will be the best years of your life, yeah, they're right too.