The Real Reason Why I Joined A Sorority

The Real Reason Why I Joined A Sorority

The best decision I ever made

27
The Real Reason Why I Joined A Sorority
Erin Hession

We have just finished informal recruitment and the question we were told to think of in our heads was, “Why did you join ASA or a sorority?”. It isn't just now I was asked to think about this but during my recruitment this past fall. I always said that my sister loved her sorority and that I'm looking for a new group of friends.

Now, I have finally thought about what the answer really is. It is so much more than seeing all the fun my friends and family had being a part of Greek life. I joined greek life because I never had a solid group of friends, but I thought greek life would be able to help me find forever friends. I am so happy to say that it did! It not only helped me find life long friends, but a whole new family. My twin, my big, my grand big, my aunt, and my great-grand big, and even my great-great-grand big have become a second family to me! They are aways there when I want friends to eat with or people to cry alongside. I know that if I ever need them they are just a text away and they will make sure I am ok. Besides the unconditional support I get from my sorority fam, I get the same from all the sisters. When I was going through a difficult time everyone was so compassionate and understanding. They never made me feel guilty for missing chapter, but instead offered to help in any way possible.

A sorority isn't just “a group of friends I pay for”, in fact, I don't pay for them at all, I pay for the cool t-shirts and awesome events we all bond at. My sorority is a group of girls that I can go out with on the weekend, roll out of bed and hang with, message at any time for help with a math problem, lean on when things don't go well, and do amazing things to change the world with. I can't begin to tell you all the amazing things these girls do and how proud I am to call them my sisters. We love our philanthropies and helping to make the world brighter place. Whenever I am around these girls I can’t help but be happy. Taking part in our philanthropy events only push me to get involved even more. We have fun whether it is giving back, having fun, or vegging out on the couch.

So to answer the age old recruitment question, I joined a sorority to have a group of people that I will forever be able to call family. So that I have friends that will always stick by me through the bad and the good. To have people that love me at my worst and celebrate with me at my best. Joining a sorority was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I love these girls more than anyone will ever know.