The Push For Positive Change

The Push For Positive Change

Positive change starts with you, and it's not as hard as you think.

12
The Push For Positive Change
whatsuplife.in

It's pretty obvious what this article will be about, since everyone has been talking about it, I don't see much need for an introduction explaining the situation. Unless you've been living under a rock, then you probably know many of the hopeful and hateful events that followed the Election of 2016. Streets quickly filled with peaceful protests, and others filled with angry rioters. Many pushed for progression and equality, and others took the chance to shout racial slurs and partake in detestable actions. Some people quivered in fear and anxiety, scared about how their future would unfold, and some rejoiced and celebrated, hopeful for change. It's impossible to state a certain future for the United States, but there are ways that the people of this nation can push for positive change.

One of the most important ways to start is by letting others have their opinions! Not all Trump supporters are racist and sexist, and not all Clinton supporters are blood thirsty-men haters. I have friends who support Trump, who support Clinton, and who support neither. I didn't turn away from them after hearing their stances, instead, I made conversation and embraced them to stick to their opinions. America is supposed to be a country where everyone is equal and valued. Men and women, young and old, are entitled to their own thoughts and opinions. So why are people being attacked for having one?

Similar to that, it's important not to label groups of people as if they are all the same. As I said before, not all Trump or Clinton supports are what they are stereotyped to be. Some of those people might not be the nicest, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a caring person in the mixture as well. To quote Gandhi, “Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." If we continue to make assumptions about people based on their opinions about certain topics, then we aren't doing anything to help better society, or ourselves.

We live in a world with divided opinions and varying values. We live in a world where some beliefs are created for the sake of oppressing others, and some beliefs are created for the sake of helping others rise above that oppression. There will always be negativity and hatred in our life, but that doesn't mean we should give up on trying to spread more positivity and love to others. Embrace others to stand up for what they believe in, don't tear people down for having a different opinion. Make a positive change in the world.