The Prohibition Party Of New York On The Rise

The Prohibition Party State group in New York.

281
ProhibitionParty of New York

The Prohibition Party is the nation’s oldest living third party, centered on advocating for ethical governance, promoting the public welfare, and social reform. Founded in 1869, the party has acted as a force for advocating for positive policies and reforms. This has included, not only combating the harms of alcohol, but has also included things such as championing the establishment of women’s suffrage, and in more contemporary times, encouraging state to establish tuition free college. In recent years, the Prohibition Party has been seeing increased attention, membership, and activism. In 2016, our presidential candidate Jim Hedges received are largest vote result since 1988. And since then, the party has continued to build on these gains. This has included the reestablishment of state level party groups and organization in a number of states, including in New York.

The Prohibition Party of New York is the reestablished state party group. Prohibition Party members in New York state began working to reestablish the state group in the summer of 2017, following the Prohibition Party’s national conference in June. The Prohibition Party of New York is currently in its early stages of organization building. We are working to expand our messaging in the state, recruit new members, and form connections with individuals and groups who we share common issues with. We engage in issue advocacy and promote policies to advance the well-being of New Yorkers.

This includes advocating for stronger state and local restrictions against alcohol and other harmful substances, the promotion of teetotalism, increased prevention efforts, expanded treatment for alcoholism and drug addiction, ending state support for the alcohol industry, and working towards the abolition of the alcohol industry. It also includes support for stronger ethics laws for elected officials, improving public education, establishing tuition free college for all students, advancing holistic economic development, reforming the state finance system to reduce the burden of property taxes, improving public health, abolishing the statute of limitations for sex crimes, revitalizing the state’s infrastructure, improving the state’s environmental condition, improving ballot access laws, and other such policies based on moral principle, public service, and promoting the wellbeing and prosparity of people.

Earlier this month, Prohibition National Committee member and organizer for the Prohibition Party of New York, Jonathan Makeley, was appointed to act as state party chairman. And as the Prohibition Party of New York moves forward, we are working to recruit members, establish a full state party committee, and begin running candidates for various offices in the state.

If one is interested in learning more about the Prohibition Party of New York, one can check out our website.

We are also present on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

If one is interested in joining or has questions, you can email us at newyorprohibition@aol.com

If you are interested in the national Prohibition Party, you can check out the Prohibition Party Website.