The Procrasinator's Guide To New Year's Resolutions

It's a little late coming, but they remain relevant to me.

9
Hannah Tarwater

I'm the world's biggest procrastinator. I'm not afraid to admit that either. Anyone who knows me I'm sure would chuckle and nod their heads in agreement to the above statement.

It seems like everything in my life, I wait until the last minute to take care of. Assignments, papers, my Odyssey articles, decisions on important matters, etc. So it isn't an exception that my list of New Year's resolutions would be included with the other things I take my dear sweet time on.

I have never been the one that has had strict resolutions in which I try my best to adhere to throughout the new year. I greatly admire folks who make a list and hold themselves accountable to be successful in their established goals. These people are remarkable. They are the go-getters who on the very first day of the year (or even beforehand) take time to sit down with their journals and create achievable personal goals. Or maybe it's the friends you see on Facebook who post a status that they are going to strive to do "A, B, and C" this new year. Either which way, you think to yourself that you want to join this group of proactive people. But then the third week of January comes and you STILL haven't even come up with one resolution yet.

Have no fear, you are not alone in this. Sure we may already be over halfway finished with the first month of the new year, but there is still time. In my opinion, new year's resolutions don't have to be a "race to the finish line." If it takes longer than a year to knock them out, who cares? At least you are in the process of working to achieve them someday. If the same resolutions keep appearing on your list year after year, and you're tired of seeing them, set a firm goal to make sure they get accomplished this year, rather than waiting until the next.

A few tried and true tips for resolutions are: reflect on the previous year to see what areas in your life gave you a negative feeling, be realistic when deciding on which ones will make your list, don't add extra pressure on yourself, and have a trusted friend assist with holding you accountable. Having someone who knows what you want to gain from this fresh new year and can remind you to stick with it means everything!

I came up with a short New Year's Resolutions list that includes five items I would love to see come true for me in 2017:

- Be more present (put the phone away!)

- Stop stressing over the small stuff in day-to-day life

- Get rid of negativity

- Be a light in all that I do and to all I encounter

- Don't worry about tomorrow, live in the now

When it comes to resolutions, they can be tricky to figure out. But in the end, they are a direct benefit to you and the life you lead. Make sure that they are ones you are comfortable with and ones that you can make happen.

Now go out and take on 2017!