9 Conversations You Have When You Look Young

Awkward things that happen when you look younger than you are.

225
Knoxville Anti Aging Clinic

As a 22-year-old girl (or should I say) woman, I look a lot younger than I actually am. Some people believe I'm up to six years younger than my real age. This means I experience a great deal of confusion and interesting situations related to my age. Here are some actual conversations that have occurred and might even happen to you if you look younger than you are.

1. "Are you old enough to drive yourself?"

This is a low blow, especially since I've been driving for 6 years now. Do I really not look old enough to operate a vehicle?

2. "Can I see an ID please?"

Although this is a common one, it does get old after a while. Whether it's trying to buy alcohol, get into an "R" rated movie or even buying cough medicine, it's almost without fail this situation will take place.

3. "You're not old enough to drink, are you?"

My response: "Actually I am old enough to drink, but I know I look young."

4. "You'll love being told you look young when you're older!"

That's great in all and I hope it's true, BUT I really don't like not looking my age right now.

5. "Do you need help?"

When a store employee finally pays attention to you and realizes that you are a valued customer as well. This happens after they take care of the women and anyone deemed more important than you, AKA anyone who doesn't look like a teenager.

6. "Oh I'm sorry, I forgot about your table."

This occurs at many restaurants because the servers typically assume you won't tip well since you look like a teenager, and they think teenagers don't have much money. You are less likely to get good service at a restaurant when compared to someone who looks or is older.

7. "Are you sure that's appropriate?"

This is said about anything slightly adult. What the person saying it doesn't realize is that you are in fact an adult as well.

8. "How nice, your older brother took you out to dinner!"

This one might be one of the worst that could happen. The response to this would be, "No, actually I'm on a date." Which leaves the server feeling really awkward.

9. "Are you traveling alone?"

This is one I got quite a bit while traveling for a study abroad. Every time I went through customs I was asked this. I even had customs officers pulling me aside and asking me this, to which I'd respond with my default, "Yes I am, I know I look young."

While looking younger than you are has it's disadvantages and you've probably had some of these conversations more than once, it isn't all bad! On the bright side, you can sometimes order kids meals without being judged, among other things.