The Problem With Conservatism

The Problem With Conservatism

America isn't just about the "forgotten" people now. America isn't just about fiscal politics. America, while it is about the 62 million Trump voters, it is also about the 65 million Clinton voters and the millions of third-party voters and people who didn't vote.

310
The Problem With Conservatism
SFGate

November 8th, 2016 lives in infamy as Donald J. Trump pulled off a historic upset against opponent Hillary Clinton. News organizations, foreign governments, and America's citizens were stunned at the outcome -- no one expected this. It will likely go down as the greatest political upset in American history.

Trump's historic (and, admittedly, well-fought) victory was largely attributed to his ability to reach out to America's "forgotten" citizens. Citizens who felt forgotten, abandoned or even neglected by the political system in place. These same people who pollsters glanced over.

Trump's continual promise to make America a "business", to focus on jobs and the economy and to value the middle class ultimately made America "great again". His constant ability to stand-up against the politically-correct, while admirable and good-in-theory, largely was misguided. Trump supporters over-looked that, while liberals got too confident that those scandals would destroy his chances.

Although, to be fair, no other presidential candidate would have been able to get away with such blatant racism, sexism, and normalization of sexual assault, to name a few scandals.

His election symbolized the distrust in the political system, the desire for a change and was a step-forward for anyone (on the left or right) who was ready for someone outside the system to shake it up.

Nearly eight months into his presidency, Trump has proven that he only cares about himself, his personal politics and his vision for the country. He's grossly misrepresenting the millions of Americans who voted for him. 62 million people aren't this dangerous, politically ignorant, reckless and all the other vehement qualities of Trump. Most of them are average Americans, who bask in our freedoms, work hard and pay taxes. There is inherently nothing wrong with them, despite their vote on November 8th.

Many of them, in fact, still support Trump even after his disgusting actions. Trump was given a good economy from Obama, and has not managed to fail the economy, and has benefited it in several ways. Jobs are being created, the stock market is good and companies are promising to bring back jobs to America. Good! That is great. However, it doesn't justify Trump's cruel actions.

Trump's short (non-comprehensive) list of horrendous social-policy actions includes, but are not limited to: an attempt to ban all Muslims from entering the country, an attempt to sporadically TWEET a ban on transgenders from serving in the military, ending Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, a border wall, and suggestions to post criminal actions done by illegal immigrants to strike fear in Americans and make them more inclined to send them back.

While the actions have often been defended by "protection of the country", "reducing costs of the military", "ending Obama's illegal law" and "help give Americans their jobs back", it should come to surprise to no one when I say these are keenly disguised phrasings for racism. It's a political demise to be openly racist, or at least it used to. That hasn't stopped Trump from calling African Americans lazy, Latina's rapists or Muslims as terrorists. His refusal to formally condemn white supremacy and literal Nazism is just icing on the cake.

His cabinet is notoriously homophobic -- from Pence being in support of business owners being allowed to refuse LGBTQIA+ members service, to cabinet members likening homosexuality to criminal impulses such as arson, to conversion therapy being advocated for, Trump isn't an icon for LGBT rights, either. Trump himself may not be publicly homophobic, but the people who he chooses to surround himself with send a radically different message.

Trump's campaign controversy arguably peaked with the "grab her by the pussy" video. The instantly-viral, super-disturbing video was one of the grossest displays of misogyny in campaign history.

It also doesn't help Trump mimicking a man with a disability.

Ableist. Sexist. Racist. Homophobic, etc. What else? Trump is a travesty to social issues. It's not enough to say he stands against "political correctness" anymore. I believe most Trump voters are not on this vile level of ignorance, but their support for these social issues ultimately stops when they value the economy over the basic respect for the millions of Americans trump has alienated.

Trump may just be helping the economy, putting the job in the market, restructuring a broken D.C, putting the power back in the middle class -- but it doesn't matter.

Donald Trump Jr tweeted literal emails between top Russian officials about the election, in the midst of a massive federal investigation into collusion, but party Republicans didn't stop in their tracks to investigate the most damning piece of evidence yet. Instead, they let their greed for power be above what is best for the country.

That is the core issue with Conservatism in our current political society.

No candidate, Republican or Democrat, in history would have been able to get away with such divisive conduct. Admittedly, it's been a hard eight years for Republicans as Obama ruled the nation and passed several controversial legislations that furthered the liberal agenda.

On November 8th, 2016, Trump wasn't just elected president; Conservatives got their long yearned for a return to power. With control of the senate, house and white house -- the possibilities to end Obamacare, reverse his decisions and the power to pick supreme court justices was an overwhelming victory for right-leaning Americans.

Like it or not, we had to respect the results. Many liberals, after the initial sting of our "sure win," were willing to give Trump a chance. Trump blew his chance.

Why are Republicans so scared to admit they made a mistake? Why are they too afraid to stand up to this man when he repeatedly, and grossly, misrepresented their party, ethics and core values? Why are they allowing him to get away with such incompetence for his position? Why won't they try for impeachment when there is enough evidence to do so?

Are they afraid Pence would go too? Paul Ryan as well? If Trump gets impeached, Republicans will still hold the house, senate, and the presidency. Are they afraid that doing this will alienate the racist voters who he enabled? Potentially costing them future elections with a liberal generation ready to enter the political world?

The answer isn't simple -- and it shouldn't be. The Republican party is a respectable party at its core. Limited government and a free market aren't bad ideas to have. It's time to push politics aside for one second and do what is best for the country -- ditching Trump.

From there, the party can only go up. Similar to the Democrats after Bernie exposed major flaws and corruption in the party, Republicans can take a step back and take time to rebrand (while they still have the power) and come back into the 2018 election with more confidence and unity than ever before. The millions of Americans who live in fear and anxiety of what Trump was, is and will do can be liberated and proud of their country.

That'll Make America Great Again.