10 Ways To Beat The Power Of Rejection

10 Ways To Beat The Power Of Rejection

You can't spell "LIFE" without an "L!"

787
10 Ways To Beat The Power Of Rejection
Google images

I am not a perfect person and I have many flaws, but if there's one thing I unashamedly pride myself in, it's my ability to handle rejection.

This is not to say the journey toward reaching this conclusion has been an easy or painless one. I've auditioned and interviewed for countless things (a capella, sororities, special organizations and clubs, leadership positions...etc.) and have put myself out there for countless people, and have continuously been rejected time and time again. I've gotten everything ranging from "We regret to inform you that due to other excellent applicants, we were not able to offer you the position at this time" to "You're a great girl, you're just not for me." While I used to pity myself and complain about how I would never be "enough" for anything or anyone I put my heart toward, I no longer see the use in indulging in such negativity.

I feel as though I woke up one day and was no longer afraid. I realized I was content with my life, and was finally happy with the person I am, something no "NO" could ever change. I realized each rejection made me stronger, more confident, and more fearless than any acceptance ever could. It gave me an internal shield that made each future blow far less painful and far less scarring. It gave me wisdom. Heck, it gave me the words that I'm sitting here allowing the world to read right now!

The reason I felt the need to write this article is because while I consider handling rejection to be one of my stronger qualities, I understand others may not feel this way. And understandably so! No one likes being told they aren't enough, especially when you are, in fact, absolutely enough. As humans, it's only natural for these moments of self-doubt to invade our minds. However, we cannot let these negative thoughts poison our positive ones.

As of lately, I've talked with friends who have faced rejection. It hurt me to hear them dwelling on what they "could have" said or done differently in order to have avoided a particular blow. While it is important to analyze yourself and improve certain qualities, it was almost as if they had forgotten their worth and all the special gifts they have to offer in this world in that moment, something no friend likes to see or hear.

I found myself thinking the same thing during each of these interactions that honestly could not hold more truth or meaning, something that I want everyone who has ever faced a disappointment to consider:

This loss does not define you.

For all of those who are going through a rejection at this very moment, I'd like you to read that again. Let that sink in.

This loss does NOT define you.

While words do not possess answers to everything, I do believe these words hold true when it comes to rejection. Just because this opportunity wasn't meant to be, does not mean you are any less capable, successful, or wonderful as the person or people you are comparing yourself to. If anything, this may mean that you are supposed to use your light and your energy in a different way for now. Maybe this job would have been too stressful with your heavy workload. Maybe this person would not have appreciated you in a way that the right person will. Do not let this scar you, do not let this scare you. Trust this process. React in a beautiful way that others will admire. Your response will say more about you than any acceptance ever could, and people will love that about you. More importantly, YOU will love that about yourself.

Rejection is powerful. And while it's easy for me to say I can now handle it like a pro, that does not mean I don't have moments of disappointment or self-doubt. But I remind myself that life is too short to dwell on what could have been.

Life is meant to be lively. Move forward. Look forward. Focus your energy toward something else wonderful. Be kind to yourself. Repeat positive words of affirmation that you know deep down in your heart to be true. And if you refuse to do so, let me offer ten simple encouragements to get you started:

1. I am strong enough to handle this loss.

2. It is okay to be sad for a little while, but I will NOT let this negative cloud overshadow my positive light.

3. I have a purpose to spread my light in a different way than this opportunity would have allowed during this phase of my life, and I will accept and realize that in time.

4. I am lucky to even be presented with this opportunity, as there are others who are not granted with the gift of a healthy body and an ambitious mind.

5. One day, I will use this hurt I am feeling to help someone else, and he or she will admire me for my strength, as will I.

6. I do not need to be successful at everything, but I WILL be absolutely AWESOME at something.

7. I do not need to be liked by everyone, but somebody one person will love me just the way I am, and I will be shocked at how easy and beautiful that relationship will be.

8. All it takes is one "yes" for a lifetime of overwhelming happiness and joyful memories.

9. l will be okay.

10. This rejection does not define me.

To the person behind the screen, wonderful things have yet to come. Have faith. You will see.