The Pets of Harvey and Irma

The Pets of Harvey and Irma

Now's the perfect time to take action.

20
The Pets of Harvey and Irma
Allison Pericles

After Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, pets of hurricane-affected areas are displaced, and some are thought to be missing. The Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act was put in place after Hurricane Katrina, requiring that pets be considered in your evacuation plan in the event of a hurricane. Animals have been transported to shelters all over the country, and many pets have been reunited with their families. However, there are still numbers that remain displaced by the tropical storms, not to mention the pets who were already in shelters before the hurricanes even hit.

In other words, if you were wanting to help animals, now is a good time to do so. Donate to organizations big or small, such as The Humane Society, ASPCA, or one of the numerous animal advocacy organizations. Shelters and relief groups are also in need of volunteers and currently preparing to rescue as many animals as possible in the wake of these natural disasters. I can say from personal experience that volunteering with animal rescue groups is not only extremely rewarding, but also tons of fun (I mean come on, you're taking care of cute puppies and kitties!). Fostering can also make a huge difference, and provide you with experience of having an animal in your home if you are considering adopting a pet. Also, now is a good time if ever to adopt a new best friend. Some animals spend the duration of their lives in animal shelters when they could be in a loving home. Shelter pets are extremely sweet animals and there is nothing more fulfilling than providing a home to a being that needs one. I promise that by taking even the smallest action, you could be saving a life.