The Penny Serfs Talk About Their New Album

The Penny Serfs Answers 7 Questions About Their New Album, Cover Art And Favorite Songs

"Politics in the Time of Heroin" is full of heart and emotion that pulls you right into each track as you listen.

75
Photo Courtesy of Big Picture Media & The Penny Serfs

About a year ago, Indie-Rock band, The Penny Serfs released their album, "Politics in the Time of Heroin." Since then they have had the chance to let the world hear it and play it live on the road. The eight-track album is full of heart and emotion that pulls you right into each track as you listen. If you have yet to go give it a listen — definitely do so as it definitely won't disappoint.

I was lucky enough to ask singer Mikey Loy a few questions relating to their album, influences and favorite songs.

1. How does it feel having "Politics in the Time of Heroin" out and into the world?

"It feels like a breath of fresh air. We set many goals and once it dropped I really had a moment of pride that we accomplished something we put so much of our hearts into."

2. What did the writing process look like?

"I started with an acoustic in my house in Iowa. A couple of months later started sending demos to the guys, and then we planned to go to Stone Mountain, GA to record with my friend Rick Beato. Stu, Kyle, and I were working on Sufjan Stevens' tour so it was tricky for scheduling, etc."

3. What led you to choose the cover art for "Politics in the Time of Heroin?"

"I wanted it to symbolize my move from out west back to the Quad Cities, IA area. I was having a bit of existential crisis. I thought farms and cows would be the best way to put depth into the complications of my brain and starting a new life in a place that stokes old memories."

4. What is your favorite song on the new album?

"My favorite song is "Somebody Else." I am very proud of the songwriting process and my vocal melodies and such. I put a lot of emotion into this from my past life dealing with being duped by friends and significant others. There is a version on Spotify and Apple Music, the radio mix, which is so fun to me. Yukki Matthews mixed it and it's very vibey and rocking."

5. If you were to make a mixtape with your favorite songs of all time what are a few that would definitely be on it?

"'Narcos" by Migos, "Sick of Myself" by Matthew Sweet, "Run for Your Life" by The Beatles.

Let's see. "Islands in the Stream" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, "Bling Bling" by Cash Money, "Something in the Way" by Nirvana, "Don't Let Go" by En Vogue, "Everybody Knows" by Leonard Cohen, "Pedestrian at Best" by Courtney Barnett and finally "Happiness, Missouri" by El Vy."

6. Which music artists do you look up to? Who has influenced you over the years?

"Most recently I am inspired by The National. They are some of the most creative people I've ever come in contact with. The focus and detail to information on all of their records are very inspiring.

Putting music first and staying friends and a great band for years is something I hope The Penny Serfs could do one day. I really look up to them. I'd say my top influences of all time are John Lennon, Ray Davies, Harry Nilsson, and Kurt Cobain. Such magical artists."

7. If you could play only one of your songs to somebody who has never heard your music before which would you choose?

"I would play "Lonely Boy" from this record. It sums up the emotions of my head and part of the sound that we all love. I know that if someone likes Lonely Boy that most of our other music will be enjoyable."

The Penny Serf's socials:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/ThePennySerfs
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ThePennySerfs
Instagram: www.instagram.com/ThePennySerfs