The Ota Benga Conundrum

The Ota Benga Conundrum

To Be or Not to Be?

42
The Ota Benga Conundrum

For the next four years, as the culture war to normalize Breitbart and Stormfront white supremacist politics, as mainstream American politics follows the election of their figurehead, those in groups to be targeted have a choice. Whether they be women, racial/religious minorities, members of the LGBT community, etc. the choice is one that has existed in America since time immemorial but is particularly pertinent going into 2017: will you have respect for yourself as a human being and fight for that identity to be respected within the nation you live or....will you strive to be “one of the good ones”?

Perhaps that comes off as too judgmental or bitter. I just try putting on their shoes only to realize my feet are now caked with human feces. I can't imagine the mental distress and inadequacy that leads to such a thing. At the end of the day, while I find it a tragic and pathetic act, I can't really summon the hatred for someone who hates themselves or who is struggling to survive by going the route of quisling. At least compared to my disdain and opposition to the people and sources putting them into that position.

It's a choice anyone born as a minority in the United States, particularly in white majority communities, has had to contemplate in varying contexts (not all of them necessarily as pathetic and toxic). How much of yourself do you water down? How much of mainstream dominant culture and attitudes and media do you allow to pour inside of you and paint you, change you?

For the number of people complaining about cultural appropriation or about people complaining about cultural appropriation, I find it interesting that discussion on the other aspect of the cultural flow is less discussed these days compared to the heady days of Eminem and Limp Bizkit: whitewashing.

Such people were once condemned, not the way a fratbro in a racist Mexican Halloween costume might be, it wasn't about the fact that you were mocking white culture, it was about the fact that you'd bought in, diluted yourself, made yourself the mockery.

The concept of whitewashing is perhaps now more outdated, as is tragically the similar early 2000s and 1990s concept of the “wigger”, allowing a lot of frankly amusing-to-watch but tbh sad tho chicanery among a lotta white boys these days. Used to be that got your ass jumped.

But I digress! This article is about the choice you now face post-election as a member of one of many classes targeted and abused and disenfranchised under the menagerie of terrifying proposed Trump administration goals.

You could resist, stand up for your identity. Even if your membership in aforementioned class doesn't seem like it'll actually harm you, perhaps because you're wealthy or delusional or figure white people don't usually like hurting their dogs, don't you think you might have an uncle or cousin not quite as lucky? What would your ancestors say?

The other choice would be so easy though, in the sense that it would be so easy to get a shitload views on Youtube if you put out a video of yourself consuming your own detritus. Why not be one of the good ones? Be Jon Jafari, be that black Trump supporter with the cowboy hat. You could sell merch! You could get a following of white racists who would pat you on the head. You'll be like a pink polkadotted zebra, a specimen for your white friends to hold up with pride, “Look, their kind aren't ALL like that. I've got an X friend! They're one of the good ones!” I mean, have you noticed how many likes a Chicano can get on Facebook for saying they voted for Donald Trump because they hate those dirty aliens too? Oh gosh it's all so thrilling! Acceptance, finally! Be the one calling for “conciliation” with an administration stocking itself with white nationalists, be the one tone policing all the oh shucks oh gosh nasty things those anti-Trump protesters are doing.

Better yet, just embrace the Breitbart alt right politics entirely. Disavow the actions of the majority of those who who share your identity. Surely there's a long mutual conversation there about your love for WWII history and tanks. After all it's similar sadsack contrarianism that spawned that movement in a minority of millennials to begin with. You're not like all the rest, which means you have an open mind, you're an independent thinker, you're not fooled by the MAINSTREAM news. The friends and compatriots you gain through this may not respect you as a human being, but the price is always cheaper buying in than buying out as long as you rate your own value lowly!

Whatever your answer, I won't judge you...too much. After all, it was a choice we were all faced with. Can I really blame or judge a member of minority who reacts to societal pressure by buying in? By being the "good boy"? By deciding that the Trump election might mean they should tone down their independence or self-respect? I'd rather attack the people and things that caused them to go Europa Europa, to make such a depressingly toxic and self-hating decision.

It's entirely possible they make the choice I and others couldn't stomach making simply because they're under a lot more pressure to do so than I or you could ever be in our lives. It's people like them we should engage with sad empathy. The better we understand them, the better we understand ourselves.

Consider yourself a half-empty glass of water. Make your choice, will you top yourself off with bleach so that you're no longer half-empty, quenching yourself on the toxic illusion of white privilege's availability or table scraps or dog head pats, or will you demand to be recognized as half-full?