What I Have Learned From 'The Office'

5 Lessons I Have Learned From 'The Office'

Life lessons that have been learned from the infamous sit-com television show

491
Wikipedia

Recently I have re-watched the sit-com hit television show 'The Office' once again. Now I have watched it time and time again and each and every time I watch it I find that it has taught me something new. You might be wondering "what could you possibly learn from Michael Scott or Dwight Schrute?" and despite their dumbfound characters they have a lot to teach believe it or not.

1. Don’t be afraid to try new things.

As many people have seen this show and seen in many situations Michael is not afraid to try many new things. Despite the fact that many of his "bright" ideas more often than not do not work out he carries an inspiring spirit that I think many people can learn from. Now if Michael Scott was a real person many people would have a Stanley attitude because let's be real—there is no way a company could run in the way this tv show portrays it.

I think something we can all take away from Michael and his not-so-bright ideas that he takes those ideas and goes all in with them. He has no fear and goes in with his whole heart. Michael jumps in feet first and although it may be out of some of his employees' comfort zones it has forces them to try new things and learn things about themselves maybe they didn't know before.

2. You have more support than you think you do.

Time and time again there have been situations where they have relied on each other. And time after time they have not failed to always be there for each other and support one another. They refer to each other as their family and I think it is important that we realize that there are always people to support you no matter what. More often than not we just want to know that someone will be there for us and have our backs through whatever.

Here's the thing, they always have loyalty to one another and at the end of the day, they always pull through for each other. Even though Michael has shown to have an obnoxious character he has always been there for his employees and has never failed to be a friend to people in the office even when they have done him wrong.

3. It’s okay to give people second chances.

Here's the thing, a lot of people get offended on the show. Whether it's the things they say, the outfits they wear ("Casual Fridays"), the friendships that are made and broken, etc., but we always see that they find it in their hearts the ability to forgive on another and turn the other cheek. Now I know they work together therefore have to see each other on a daily basis but they have forgiveness and room for redemption in their hearts for each other.

They are a family and have the biggest hearts. Even the tougher characters are coaxed to forgive and give others a second chance. We can all learn that even in some situations that when people have wronged us, that there is always room for another chance because of what they mean to us.

4. Friendly competition is healthy.

In the show, this is pretty common between a lot of the characters. Whether its Dwight and Andy, Jim and Dwight, Ryan and Pam, or David and Michael they always push each other to the limits. How can we discover what we are capable of if there isn't anyone to help us get there?

They are always being shown up by each other and they love it—I mean who doesn't love some friendly competition? Let's be honest wouldn't we all like to test Dwight and see what he would do to defend his honor. Without our peers, there would be no one to acknowledge our accomplishments, help us make it to the end of the day, or make us squirm a little with their capabilities.

5. You can’t take life too seriously.

It's been said and done several times per episode that you cannot take life too seriously. It seems as though they play more than they work but time and time again Michael has made us believe that almost anything in a workplace can be made fun. This show has shown us that despite the location and setting of it, there are always ways to make a 9am to 5pm job entertaining. The characters of this show always have something up their sleeve and are not afraid to share it with each other. Life is short so why bore yourself with a routine when you could be doing something else much more fun.

That is why for 9 seasons almost all of the same characters have remained on the show. Because even though they might seem annoyed or angry, it isn't a normal office and they love it. 'The Office' has taught us all not to settle for normal and boring when you have a limited amount of time on your hands. So what are you still doing, get out and do something with your life!