The Ocean's Cry For Help

The Ocean's Cry For Help

We are the only ones who can help.

73
The Ocean's Cry For Help
Kaitlin Fionda

The ocean is one of the biggest bodies of water on our planet. It covers 71% of the Earth's surface and has 97% of the Earth's water. The ocean is in serious danger, the ocean is suffering and needs saving. The ocean is polluted by over 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic, gallons of toxic waste and gallons of oil. The once clear oceans this world once had are no longer clear or clean. Everywhere you look you'll find some sort of debris in the water from sunglasses that have fallen off a tourist to a full bottle of saltwater in a Gatorade bottle. It's actually quite disgusting how much the ocean has to endure with the amount of trash and debris that doesn't belong in the water.

The ocean is suffering, species of whales have beached themselves because they are sick. They have been found with pounds and pounds of plastic in their stomachs... they died from starvation but they couldn't stop it. Plastic waste in the ocean can resemble jellyfish and many marine life get confused because of this. But it's not only in the ocean it's on the beaches. Beaches across the United States and around the world are plagued by plastic waste from college spring break trips, tourists, etc. It still affects marine life if we like to think about it or not.

From May to October is Sea Turtle season in Florida... and beaches are becoming so dangerous for the turtles safety. Unaware tourists leave their beach supplies (Chairs, umbrellas, etc.) on the beach. This is an obstacle for those turtles, they can get caught in old fishing lines left by unaware fisherman/tourists and get caught up in those beach supplies. Holes that are dug or beach seating (makeshift seating carved into the sand) that becomes a trap for those sea turtles and puts them in danger. A change needs to happen and the world's population needs to take a stand.

It's not only plastic, it's the toxic waste being pumped into the ocean. It's oil that is being leaked from oil rigs. It's a lot of outside factors but all in all its affecting our ocean negatively and the ocean is being hurt.

Look at the Great Barrier Reef, it's affected by the climate change and many parts of the reef have been pronounced dead by many scientists because of the warming of the ocean. Global warming is a real thing, it's not a fluke or myth. It's a real problem our earth is facing. Emissions from the burning of fossil fuels is a partial cause and a big one at that. The home to many sea creatures is being killed off the overwhelming rate the ocean is warming. Scientists have said that the background temperature of the ocean is high enough already and any temporary spike in temperature can become a death threat to reefs around the world not only the Great Barrier Reef.

I think it's time for us to take a stand and stop contributing to the death of our ocean. It truly needs to stop because if we don't... there might not be a healthy ocean or a safe one in the near future. The ocean is crying out for help, the marine life is crying out for help, the health of our ocean is critical... and we need to be the change it needs. The ocean holds some of the worlds most beautiful and rare creatures. But the damage caused by Earth's population is almost irreversible... but there is a chance we can change that. Will you help the ocean's fight to become healthy again or will you just stand by and watch it die? Your choice.