11 Must-Read Facts About The Number Eleven

11 reasons the number 11 is a special number.

1630
Photo by Agê Barros on Unsplash

Throughout my soccer career from elementary school up to my senior year of high school, my jersey number has always been 11. Because of this, I am obviously biased that 11 is the best number. However, I will say there are cool attributes to the number that make these double digits remain my favorite number.

Every time I look at the clock and it is either 11:11 am or 11:11 pm, I always shout "11:11 make a wish!!" I am superstitious that the number eleven is an omen for me. I know it sounds strange but my fascination with the number led me to research some significance of eleven.

Here are eleven fun facts about eleven:

1. The sunspot cycle or the solar cycle lasts for 11 years

In the Mayan Calendar, the current time cycle ended on December 21, 2012, at 11:11 am.

2. World War 1 ended on the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour

3. A total solar eclipse was observed throughout Europe on 11 August 1999 at 11:11 am

4. In numerology, number eleven is considered the master number

The reason is this number carries a vibrational frequency of balance. Number eleven signifies invention, refinement, fulfillment, vision, and congruence in a person. In astrology, the number eleven is considered a magical number that strikes a balance of emotion, thoughts, and spirits.

5. Apollo 11 was the first manned spacecraft to land on the moon

It launched on July 16, 1969 (Lunar landing was July 21, 1969)

6. Rockets should travel at over eleven kilometers per second to escape the gravity of the Earth

???

7. Eleven is the smallest prime number

8. The deepest known point of the ocean floor is 11 km

This is at the Marina Trench located in the Pacific Ocean.

9. The Biblical Joseph was the eleventh son of Jacob

Joseph dreamt the sun, the moon and eleven stars were bowing down to him. (Genesis 37:9) Joseph also became a great interpreter of dreams and successfully interpreted Pharaoh's dreams.

10. The walls of the fortification at the base of the Statue of Liberty in New York are in the shape of an 11-point star

11. In the Tarot, eleven is the card of Strength or Justice

Justice symbolizes balance between the spiritual and material world. This is the card of balance and justice. Reversed it is lack of balance and injustice. There are tarot cards showing cards Justice and Strength are in reversed positions, making “Justice” card number 8 and “Strength” card number 11.

I hope that you feel like an 11 expert now that you have read this and that your favorite number is now the same as mine.