4 Reasons You Should Be Watching The NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament

The new version of March Madness

45
Photo by Skye Studios on Unsplash

It is officially March. That means that the days get longer, the weather gets warmer, the school year is almost over, and most importantly, it is time for some basketball. March is a time for the madness, the sadness, the magic, and the pure joy all combined into great competitions featuring some of the most talented athletes in the college game.

Everyone is waiting to see if Coach K can snag some more wins, or if Syracuse can become a Cinderella story after just barely making the tournament. However, the real action and drama are NOT happening in the men’s tournament. If you want a great show, it’s about time you and the rest of the country started tuning into the NCAA Division 1 Women’s tournament as well. Here’s why...

1. It’s the year of the Underdogs

Not one, but TWO #11 seeds are still alive after upsetting #3 seeds. The University of Buffalo defeated Florida State by almost 20 points and will look to continue their epic story against South Carolina on March 24th. Central Michigan upset Ohio State and will take on Oregon on the same day. The women’s tournament has their own Cinderellas.. and they’re still playing.

2. The dominance of UConn

Whether you watch women’s basketball or not, if you follow sports, you most likely have heard about the dominance of the University of Connecticut’s women’s basketball team. With 11 national titles and the NCAA record for most consecutive wins, the program is one of the most legendary teams not only in basketball but all sports.

They also have gone undefeated once again this year, and are looking for national title number 12. You need to turn on the women’s tournament at least once to literally witness history being made.

3. The games are on different days

Although some of the men’s tournament and women’s tournament games overlap, the NCAA does a pretty good job of altering the dates and times in which the contests are televised and played. So, there is no longer an excuse. You can watch both.

4. Mississippi State

UConn is dominant. BUT, they did not win the 2017 NCCA Division 1 National Title. They were upset in the national championship game by Mississippi State. The Bulldogs are still alive and looking to defend their title. Paying attention to this team is a must and just another reason to watch the women’s tournament.

In a year where so much girl power is happening, it’s about time people started paying attention to the most competitive, strong, and athletic women in the sports world. They have given their lives to this game, and I promise you will not be disappointed by the passion, physicality, and pure guts these athletes demonstrate every second they are on the court.