The Nature Of Clickbait
Lifestyles

Clickbait

No, that stock picture has nothing to do with this article.

52
https://pixabay.com/en/surprised-sweet-animal-squirrel-3786845/

To be completely honest, I have no idea what to write about. My ideas are running dry. Every idea that springs up is too good an idea needs more research or editing than I have time to devote to this week. My case review of the Masterpiece Cakeshop case will have to wait for a week I'm not cramming for finals. So, naturally, I considered making a fluff piece. "Clickbait", if you will. You know the type. The articles that are a list of pictures with snappy captions, or a bite-sized bit of celebrity gossip. I honestly considered finding an excuse to post cute pictures of Great Danes, until I remembered I had already written an article like that. So I considered pulling in some office memes, or beating a dead horse and providing

That got me to thinking: Why do I publish these pieces?

Am I proud of these pieces?

Are these pieces what I want to reflect on my intellect?

It's frustrating when, due to social media algorithms and people's fleeting interests, my fluff pieces hit high page views (up to 15,000 for one I wrote about Panic!) while the articles I labor over barely hit 50.

Here is my article denouncing clickbait... until the next round of finals rolls around, that is.