11 Disney Princesses Ranked By How Empowering Their Story Is

The order might surprise you.

7827

As many people my age, I love Disney. However, I find that many of the films particularly the Disney Princess movies is that they are not really accurate in their portrayal of women. In my mind many of the older disney films showed women as weak things waiting to be rescued from their terrible lives by Prince Charming. However many of the more recent films have broken this mold and have really been empowering for all that watch it.

11. Aurora

She only has screen time for 18 minutes of the film and only has a few lines. She is asleep for almost the entire movie and I personally think that the movie would have been better with her not in it. Of course, the curse that Maleficent puts on her moves the plot along but other than that the film is about the three fairies and Prince Philip.

10. Snow White

So this one was about a woman living with Seven men and doing the housework and singing while she does it? Also, the whole reason why the evil queen tries to kill Snow White is because Snow White is prettier than her.

9. Cinderella

So she is under the thumb of her evil stepmother after her father dies. Shes forced to cook and clean and eventually a prince saves her from her horrible life after she puts on a nice dress and makeup and lies about who she is.

8. Ariel

This girl begs a sketchy sea witch to change her biology to make her human because she thinks a guy is hot. Then when she is finally human she can’t talk to him because she doesn’t have her voice. She has to basically rely on looks to be able to get the guy she loves.

7. Belle

So Belle reads a lot which many characters in the film find annoying and some crazy egomaniac thinks he has rights to her. She however valiantly decides to save her father from the beast and volunteers herself to be captured.

6. Pocahontas

So she stops a battle between the white man and her tribe in the end and refuses to marry the man that her father the chief picks for her.

5. Jasmine

She refuses to settle for the boredom of the rule. She doesn’t want to marry unless she's in love and she does end up falling in love with a street rat. To her father, this is acceptable as long as she is happy.

4. Rapunzel

Equipped with a frying pan she kicks ass through the whole movie and even though she appears to be controlled by her mother, in the end, she defeats her and is able to finally be happy with her real family.

3. Merida

She doesn’t wish to be married and she can handle herself. She fights for her own hand against some of the most macho suitors and she knows her way around a bow and arrow.

2. Tiana

She wants to work for greatness. She’s the kind of girl to be okay with getting her hands dirty for the sake of the end goal. She has ambition and drive and never settled for anything.

1. Mulan

Even if she had to pretend to be a boy to do it, Mulan saved all of China. Even if some of her fellow warriors were not approving at first she was innovative with doing her tasks and was able to do everything the guys could do in order to save China and bring her family honor.

What do you think of my list? Did your picks make the list?