"But It Was You I Was Thinking Of"

"But It Was You I Was Thinking Of"

Let’s see if you can guess that tune…

25
"But It Was You I Was Thinking Of"
pixabay

I knew from the moment I first heard it on the radio, this song was going to be stuck in my head forever. Let’s see if you can guess that tune…

This is morning

That's when I spend the most time

Thinking 'bout what I've given up

This is a warning

When you start the day just to close the curtains

You're thinking 'bout what I've given up

There’s nothing worse than waking up in the morning and immediately thinking about something that upsets you. Unfortunately, this sets the tone for the whole day. You mosey through your morning routine, trying to find the motivation to get out of bed. Everyday gets a little bit easier, but that does not mean it is not challenging.

Where are you now?

As I'm swimming through the stereo

I'm writing you a symphony of sound

Where are you now?

As I rearrange the songs again

This mix could burn a hole in anyone

But it was you I was thinking of

How is it even possible that after all of this time you are still on my mind? You are nowhere to be found when I need you. My person is gone. My best friend is MIA. Yet here you are, still on the forefront of my brain.

I read your letter

The one you left when you broke into my house

Retracing every step you made

And you said you meant it

And there's a piece of me in every single

Second of every single day

But if it's true then tell me how it got this way

No matter how many times I run it through my head, I still can’t identify the moment it all went wrong. Everything was so good for so long, then all of a sudden we slowly but surely lost ourselves. We got lost in the routine. Now here I am, going through these motions alone.

Where are you now?

As I'm swimming through the stereo

I'm writing you a symphony of sound

Where are you now?

As I rearrange the songs again

This mix could burn a hole in anyone

But it was you I was thinking of

No matter how many times I change my habits, you’re still on my mind. I change the design of my room to try and remove your presence from my environment. I change the outfits I wear to be a different person and demonstrate confidence. I change everything I think I can to become a new person without you.

And I can't get to you

I can't get to you

Lets face it, it will never be the same. I can’t get to you. So now I have to move on and be on my own. Thanks Jacks Mannequin for putting my feelings into words in the song The Mixed Tape.