The Meaning Behind My Meaningless Tattoo

As the controversy on getting tattoos finally dies down, questioning the significance and reasoning behind them begins. Tattoos have recently become more acceptable in the work force, which indirectly applies that they are becoming more socially acceptable. However, some blank humans, and even some inked, have come up with a new way to discriminate against the tattooed. They have dared to raise the question, "what does the tattoo mean?"

There are several modified people who put deep and meaningful thought into each tattoo poked into them. For example, memorial tattoos are very popular, along with portraits of admired loved ones or role models and infinity signs and anchors that remind the owners that the world continues to spin even when it seems to stop. However, some, like me, are in it simply for the artist's work. Unfortunatly, this freedom of expression has turned into an "irresponsible and meaningless" act, according to many viewers.

Recently, I went under the needle, and received a beautiful portrait of young girl submerged in water for my first tattoo. I discovered the original artwork from European tattoo artist, Silly Jane and fell immediately in love with the piece. The next month, my local tattoo artist, Josh Hendrix of Finishing Touch, tattooed the design beautifully on my back. I am a huge fan of art, and knowing that my back can be a canvas for several talented artists to display their impressive art is thrilling. Infact, I hope to collect several different original pieces from different artists overtime. The only problem is, not everyone understands this choice that many other inked people share with me.

Anytime my tattoo is exposed it is expected to receive several questions. Don't get me wrong, I do love to show off the piece and it often starts conversations, but more often than not, I receive the question "what does your tattoo symbolize?" or "who is that?" No, it doesn't mean I'm drowning and barely holding on, and no, it's not Selena Gomez, it's just art, but unfortunatly that is not an acceptable answer.

"So it's meaningless?"

Absolutely not.

It's much more than exploring google images and picking a random picture to commit to my skin. It's not pointless just because I don't have a story to tell with it. It's much like buying a print from an artist and then displaying it at your home, but I can always carry around this art and share it with people who deserve to see its beauty. I don't take life so seriously, and instead appreciate the originality and talent that it has to offer through permanent ink. We live in a world where we can modify the human body in any way, so why shouldn't we be allowed to? Or at least, respect those who don't always go through life searching for a "meaning."