"The Masked Singer" Is That Guilty Pleasure We All Love

'The Masked Singer' Shows That There Really Is A TV Show For Anyone

Singing shows never have been more suspenseful.

30
The Masked Singer

It's easy to say that there's probably a TV show that will interest any personality. There's the all-too-addicting "RuPaul's Drag Race," the racy-yet-intrinsic "Game of Thrones" to even "Naked and Afraid." All of these shows, in some way, tap into our fascination with the unconventional.

Then comes Fox's new musical competition "The Masked Singer."

The show, which premiered on January 2, 2019, is based on a Korean show of the same name. But "The Masked Singer" is not your average "American Idol" reincarnation. Hosted by Nick Cannon, the show features a series of masked artists who are celebrities in disguise. The celebrities can range from actual musical artists, actors, comedians, and athletes - virtually anyone famous is possible. The panel, Robin Thicke, Jenny McCarthy, Ken Jeong, and Nicole Scherzinger, then try to guess who it is and then vote to see who is the best singer of the pack. The panel relies only on the distorted voices of the contestants, their normal singing voice, and a mini-clip before each act that describes the real person's backstory filled with puns on their character. Each singer that ends up getting eliminated reveals their identity at the end of the episode.

The show is fun to watch because you're actually wondering who is behind each costume as they perform. You might think you know who they are with their backstory, but by the time they sing you're sitting there wondering who in God's name could these characters be.

And if you're thinking to yourself, "This show sounds stupid," then I don't blame you. It is quite stupid, maybe moronic. In fact, I don't even know why there is a judge panel on this show since there's nothing really to judge them on as they do on traditional singing competition shows. But this may be why this show is somewhat addicting: because it's so dumb you want to keep watching. After all, that's the same logic we use when we watch the Kardashians and "Jersey Shore," right?

So, if you like the anecdotal crap that is reality TV, add "The Masked Singer" to your weekly lineup. Though the show seems like a waste of time, it provides a feeling of speculation and thrill that you'll hate yourself for enjoying so much.

New episodes of "The Masked Singer" premiere Wednesday's at 9/8c on Fox.