'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' Has Answered My Prayers

Just a little Jewish girl watching a strong Jewish woman find her strength through comedy
70

All of my loved ones know that I’m a big television buff. I love to snuggle up in bed, watch my shows and laugh my ass off. If you are not in the know, the Winter Olympics are currently taking over television. My shows aren't on for three weeks! How am I suppose to cope?! I'm truly struggling

I’m big on dramas such as Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy and How To Get Away With Murder. All of which are affected by the Olympics (cue the side eye emoji). Other shows I love are 9-1-1, The Resident, The OC, Gossip girl and all of the Chicago shows and spin-offs (which I cannot find anywhere to watch, and it kills me).

My favorite kind of shows, however, are obviously comedic ones. I told you I love to laugh my ass off. A few of my favorites are The Mindy Project, Parks and Rec, The Good Place and Scrubs. I guarantee you, if you get through the first few episodes and find a groove, you will be laughing harder than ever before.

There’s a mourning period I go through after every series that I watch. I swear there must be an actual vocabulary term that describes that feeling. It's one of the worst feelings in the world. It's like I’m in limbo, searching for something. I feel a bit empty; I’m not going to lie. When I’m in-between shows, you will constantly hear me asking what show I should watch next. I’m going through that period right now, and it is truly a first-world struggle.

I love television, and I have fairly little complaints other than the lack of Jewishness seen in some of my favorite shows. It is basically the reason I love The OC so much. Sandy and Seth Cohen get me good. So, when my parents began raving about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I was ecstatic.

I love being able to relate to a family on the screen that has similar terminology that I’ve grown up with as a result of my heritage. Being Jewish is extremely important to me. So, when I see Judaism being represented on television shows that I would be able to relate to makes me excited beyond belief.

Anyway, for those of you not in the know, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is about a Jewish housewife, Midge Maisel, in the 1950s. Rachel Brosnahan nails the role of Mrs. Maisel.

In the first episode, she is left by her cheating husband and ends up finding love in stand-up comedy. The show currently has a 96% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, has won two golden globes and receives an immense amount of praise and nominations. The show was created by the creator of Gilmore Girls, Amy Sherman-Palladino.

Honestly, there is nothing bad about it, except the frustrating and hilarious quirks of Jewish parents in the 1950s...and now (gotta love em). I could go on and on, but I don’t want to give anything away. Just do yourself a favor, log onto Amazon and watch the show. You can thank me later.