To The Lukewarm Church

To The Lukewarm Church

AKA: America

15
To The Lukewarm Church
Sveta Riley

‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. Because you say, “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing,” and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked, I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

Revelation 3:15-22 (NASB)

I live in Nashville, Tennessee and have grown up with “a foot in two worlds”, so to speak. I fall into the American middle class- not wealthy but not poor. The state of Tennessee, according to the 2015 US Census, makes $40,630-$48,595 a year and ranked 43rd in wealth making it one of the poorest states in America. Within Tennessee resides the seventh wealthiest county in America, making an annual income of $107,126: Williamson County, a suburb of Nashville. The poorest county in Tennessee is Hancock County which has an annual income of $27,987.

Tennessee is the third most religious state in America. THIRD. It is one of the poorest states with one of the wealthiest counties and Nashville has one of the largest Kurdish populations in America. Nashville is known as “Little Kurdistan”.

At this point in this article, you are probably thinking, “This is great but what does this have to do with me?” This has everything to do with you- especially if you reside in Tennessee and especially if you consider yourself to be a Christian.

Driving around Nashville, I have seen an innumerable number of Porsches, Maseratis, Lamborghinis, Bugattis, and many other expensive and antique cars. I drive a used Acura that I got for $3,000 and my brother rides the metro bus or his bike to school and work. I have a friend who was homeless for about a year when she was a teenager and I also have friends who are in want of nothing. Being wealthy is not a bad thing, but claiming to be a Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ, and ignoring the people around you is a bad thing. In fact, it’s so great that money is one of the most prevalent topics in the Bible.

Good people of Tennessee (and America), you are so caught up in your technology and wealth that you fail to see the people who are hurting around you (I am speaking to myself as well). Why are we so consumed with ourselves? Why do we refuse to open our eyes and see what is around us? Why do we claim to be disciples of Christ and live how unbelievers live?

Have you every had lukewarm coffee or tea? I am currently drinking lukewarm coffee and it’s pretty bad. No one ever goes into Starbucks and says, “I’d like a grande toffee nut white mocha with caramel, lukewarm.” Why? Because it’s disgusting. The author of Revelation speaks about this in a letter to the church at Laodicea. Like beverages, people can also be lukewarm. Lukewarm people may go to church because it is a cultural tradition, but not have a true relationship with Jesus Christ. Lukewarm people may have a relationship with Christ, but may be in a sort of funk and have become so caught up in the material world that they have forgotten about the spiritual world. In Revelation, it says that God will spit those people out of his mouth. Honestly, that should be a little bit terrifying and should make you reevaluate how you are living and who you are living for. Are you living for yourself or for Christ? You have been destined for greatness- to be used by God to show his love to all people. Do not lose sight of your calling.

At first, surrendering yourself to God sounds like an awful decision because it requires you to submit to his plans- and his plans are not easy or necessarily things you want to do. When you do submit yourself to God, Holy Spirit will do great things in you and through you, and give you the strength to do hard things. When you refocus your sight on God, it will not matter if you have the newest iPhone or a sweet ride or a huge, beautiful house. There are people living ten minutes from you who are literally starving, homeless, immigrants, and are terrified. They are worried about when they will eat again and we are worried about our Instagram.

Guys, come on. If you spend your whole life inside your bubble, will you have actually lived or just simply existed? It’s time to step up and live for Christ- or not. But do not walk around saying you are a Christian and not act like it. We are commanded to love: love by taking care of the orphans, widows, poor, and immigrants, and frankly, I do not think we are doing a very good job. Now, I am FAR from a saint, but there are two things I know for sure:

1. Jesus loves me so much that he died for me.

2. By living for Christ through Holy Spirit, I will live a fulfilling life full of love which only comes from God.

Take back your life. Stand up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Choose a side because there is a war for people’s souls going on and we are in the middle of the battle. Take up your cross and your sword and truly live, not simply exist.