The Life of Natalie Wood
Lifestyles

The Life of Natalie Wood Continues To Inspire Me

This Hollywood star remains a role model for multiple generations.

239
Unsplash

The era known as the Golden Age of Hollywood gave movie goers their first taste of idealistic stardom on the silver screen. During that period, many proud stars shined and faded in front of the cameras, and some of them continue to shine today. With the recent celebration of what would have been her eightieth birthday, Natalie Wood continues to impact loyal fans everywhere.

Nowadays, most of what people see of Natalie Wood is melodramatic conspiracies about her death. Hardly anything mentions her sincerely complex life. Since tabloids fail to convey the strength and surreal humanity of Natalie Wood, it's up to true fans like myself to spread the word.

Back in 1938, Natalia Zakharenko had yet to grace Hollywood with her charming presence. When her family immigrated to America, she became Natasha Gurdin. Not long after, her mother pushed and encouraged her to start movie auditions which transformed her into Natalie Wood.

By the time she was nine years old, the little newbie had already worked with great actors and actresses, such as Bette Davis, Claudette Colbert, and Orson Welles. She captivated audiences of all ages, including her successful co-stars. Her career as a child actress catapulted to fame when "A Miracle On 34th Street" came out.

In her early teens, Natalie Wood felt that she took inadequate roles due to parental involvement in her career. Therefore, she did what all unsatisfied teens do: rebel. Wood's form of rebellion consisted of hanging out with older men and choosing roles for herself. Those moves led her to her first Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress in "Rebel Without A Cause."

Once Natalie had a steady handle on her career, movie roles carried freedom. She also found freedom in her first marriage to Robert Wagner. In the span of a couple years, the youthful star appeared to be headed downhill again, personally and professionally. Little did she know that her career was about to shine in the limelight like never before.

The early sixties proved to be the busiest part of Wood's career. With successes like "West Side Story," "Gypsy," and "Splendor in the Grass," Natalie endured seemingly impossible struggles that paid off in the long run. Her work ethic represented the glory and stress that everyone experiences on their own levels. Natalie Wood enabled herself to become a real actress, instead of just a celebrity.

In the late sixties, Wood began stepping back from Hollywood for her mental health. The accomplished actress gradually found that she wanted to pursue her family more than stardom. So, she worked more in her personal life, leading her to two daughters who currently dedicate themselves to her legacy.

Natalie Wood left behind relevant lessons and memorable victory in the modern world. She worked hard and received praise for the mark she made on the film industry. Wood also stayed true to who she was which made her a remarkable mother and human being. At the end of the day, the way Natalie Wood lived her life will always make a lasting impression on her loved ones and her fans.