The Laughter Of Easter: Reasons To Rejoice

O Death, where is thy sting?

24
centerholistic.com

Good morning, you beautiful person you. Or good afternoon. Good day. And, oh, today is truly good.

I have something to tell you.

Do not be afraid.

You see, yesterday was Easter Sunday and that means that you never need to be afraid. Why? How? -- you ask. What does a Spring holiday mean to me other than chocolate eggs and ham? What could it mean to my troubles and insecurities, my anxieties and doubts, my challenges and bitterness and hopelessness? Oh, my dear reader, it means everything.

Someone loves you. Someone loves you so much that he suffered and died for you. For each and every person individually. Please, keep reading because I'm not trying to convert you. My heart is overflowing with joy and I want to share it. I need to share it with you.

On Easter night, around the world, men and women and children of every background gather to celebrate. It is because of this night that, despite our failings, our shortcomings, our weakness, we have hope. At the Easter Vigil service, Catholics hear the Exultet- an ancient song that tells us how much we are loved. These words resonate and echo through the ages proclaiming to each generation "You Matter." You are of exquisite personal and eternal importance. No matter what you have done, what you think of yourself, what people tell you -- you have worth by your very existence.

"O wonder of your humble care for us!
O love, O charity beyond all telling, to ransom a slave you gave away your Son!
O truly necessary sin of Adam, destroyed completely by the Death of Christ!
O happy fault that earned so great, so glorious a Redeemer!"

So do not be afraid. Yes, you will still have fears, dear one, there is no courage without fear, and I know that you are very brave. Breathe in the breath of life and face the world knowing that you are not alone! He is with you. Whether you know Him or not, whether you acknowledge Him or not -- He is there by your side.

"This is the night of which it is written: The night shall be as bright as day,
dazzling is the night for me, and full of gladness.
The sanctifying power of this night dispels wickedness, washes faults away,
restores innocence to the fallen, and joy to mourners,
drives out hatred, fosters concord, and brings down the mighty."

On that night Death itself was conquered. So know this. Evil will never win because it has already lost. Pope John Paul II told us, "Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song!" Dear reader, Easter is a time of unbridled joy. A time when we come to the realization that we are not alone, that truth and goodness will win.

One Easter morning several years ago Fr. Teddy, one of the most blessed priests I've known, told us "Let the laughter of Easter fill your hearts!" It is the laughter of knowing that the impossible is possible. If death can be turned on its head then anything can happen. Your fears can be conquered, your illness cured, your sins forgiven. The past is wiped away and everything is new.

Today, dear one, you can begin again. I ask of you today, smile. Smile and don't stop. Because you are loved. Eternally, totally, perfectly loved.