The Journal to My Sister

The Journal to My Sister

It's Good Luck Charlie but in real life.

641
The Journal to My Sister
Brooke Wooten

I have a very special relationship with my sister. We are fifteen years apart. Yes, you read that correctly... FIFTEEN.

Although we are attached at the hip and we do special things together all the time, there will come a day where we lead different lives. I will be 30 when she is a freshman in high school. I could be married or even have kids! It sucks to think about how even though I will be around, I will still be missing out on parts of her life. Most sisters grow up close in age and can help each other through school, friendships, heartbreak, and pretty much anything else in between. Having a sister that is fifteen years younger, well, there's not much in common when it comes to needing or giving advice. I want to still be there for her when she gets to the age where life gets a little more difficult. So, I gained some inspiration from one of her favorite shows Good Luck Charlie. But instead of videos, I write in a journal to her that I plan to give her when she grows up.

Hearing how I dealt with certain experiences at certain ages will probably help her cope with things more than if I were to sit her down as an older woman and try to understand. I want her to feel like I am on her level, so if she reads a passage I wrote at 18 when she is 18, I think it will be more honest. She needs to know that it is okay to make mistakes, and I will be truthful with her in the mistakes I have made. I never want her to feel alone, or like there wasn't a time where I could relate to what she was going through.

I hope to write on multiple experiences so she can gain insight in various parts of her life. I will be honest with her about joy, sadness, confusion, love, family, friendships... you name it. Since I cannot truly talk to her about some of the deeper things now, we will still have that level of connection in the future. I want the journal to be pure, raw, emotional, and thought provoking. I want it to be a sort of guideline for her to be able to compare similar stories or emotions and always feel validated.

Our relationship means everything to me.