The Influence Of One Direction

The Influence Of One Direction

"Not even the gods above can separate the two of us." That's my relationship with One Direction.

1731
The Influence Of One Direction

I know to most people One Direction was an overrated boy band, but they were the best thing to ever happen to me. From Up All Night to Made In The A.M. I was there, and I wouldn’t change it for anything.

When I was in 8th grade my cousin showed me video diaries of a band I was not yet familiar with, I hadn’t heard of them before that day. I instantly fell in love with their personalities, the way they joked around and laughed melted my heart. I watched all their video diaries from The X Factor. Their names were Harry, Liam, Louis, Niall, and Zayn. I watched all their performances, including their final one. It broke my heart that they didn’t win, but they didn’t need to win because they became bigger than they could of ever imagined.

When I discovered them, I was not in a good place in my life. I was depressed. Middle school was not a good time for me at all, so finding them was the best thing to ever happen to me. They made me feel so amazing. I didn’t feel as sad as I did before. Then "What Makes You Beautiful" came out. That’s when they started getting big, and the Up All Night album was great. One Direction was officially my life. They went on iCarly, I remember that night my parents told me that there is no way in a year's time I would even like them anymore. Man, were they wrong. I’ve just graduated high school and even though they’re not together anymore, I still listen to their music regularly and keep up with their current lives.

Going into high school, I was super nervous to meet new people. But for some reason One Direction is what brought me and some of my closest friends together. Before high school I only knew one of them, and we were never close. Now we’re best friends, which is crazy to think a boy band can bring us together the way it did, but I’m so glad it did because I don’t know what I’d do without them.

My first One Direction concert was July 8th 2013, my friend got her and I tickets for my 14th birthday the previous year, so there was a lot of time that had built up to that moment. It was one of the most exciting nights of my life. I went home and couldn’t stop thinking about it. After that I was able to see them two more times. August of 2014, and August of 2015. Both were more amazing than the previous.

The boys were not the only thing I loved about One Direction. The fandom is probably one of the best things about being a true fan. We have been through so much as a group together, losing other fandom members and getting it trending to get the losses noticed by the boys. We may of had our differences (Larry vs. Elounor vs. Haylor, etc.) but we always had each other's backs, and we always stood up for the boys. I will admit some fans did get a bit crazy with their threats, but it was always in the boy’s best interest. We were. And always will be a huge loving family.

There are the many phases of a One Direction fan, the Carrots, and I may need to explain what a Carrot is for those who weren’t fans, because if you were a fan yourself you’d know exactly what I’m talking about. A Carrot is a basic fan. “Louis loves me because I ate carrots.” and really beginner basic stuff like that. Now I’m only gonna mention one other kind of fan, a stan. A stan is the kind of fan who stood by the band no matter what, even after Zayn left we stayed. We were there till the bitter sweet end. That’s what I would consider myself.

I am so fortunate to have had such a positive influence in my life for as long as I did. Of course through all the happiness they brought me, there were moments of sadness and panic. Like the entire Mr. X fiasco, that was scary mess. Or when Zayn officially left the band I was so heartbroken. Then they announced their break. I did cry a lot after the announcement, but I soon realized how much they needed the space and freedom to do the things they want. Louis is a father, so he has that as a major priority. And the other boys are doing their own things. I can not thank them enough for what they’ve done for me, I love them so much for it. I know the chances of them getting back together after this “break” is not likely,and I’m okay with that. But a reunion tour in 10-20 years wouldn’t hurt either. I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to see them live three times and to be a fan during the release of every album. I feel like I have been a fan forever, and honestly I always will be. I can’t imagine anyone else could impact my life the way those five boys did. They changed my life in the best way possible, and I will never forget about them. Thank you boys so much.

P.S. I’m a Niall girl.