The Importance Of Getting Involved On Campus

We attend a university to receive a degree, but we stay for our love for our campus by getting involved and feeling at home.

23
SSU Housing and Residents Life

Choosing a university to attend for the first four years of college is a huge and important decision. There are so many options to chose from when it comes to finding the right school. However, wherever you decide to attend it is fully up to you to make the best of your undergraduate career. For me, I chose Shawnee State University as my new home because I wanted a smaller school instead of a larger one. I am completely happy with my choice to attend Shawnee because now I consider it my home and I have gained a new school family.

The main reason it feels like home to me is because of my involvement on campus and I highly encourage you to get involved at your University. Every University offers many opportunities to get involved. There is a club or organization for just about anyone, and if you don't see one that interests you, you can start your own club and most likely your university will help you fund it, too! A common phrase I hear people say around campus is there is nothing to do on campus. I always laugh at this statement because in fact, it is just the opposite.

There is literally always something to do on campus. My schedule is always packed with events to go to, I have to pick and chose what I want to do. Chances are if you think there is nothing to do on campus it is because you aren't trying to get involved on campus. All Universities put on campus events every week, and if the University doesn't have anything going on then most likely a club probably does. Look around campus for flyers of events and print outs of calenders. You can also check your Universities online website for information on events coming up or clubs to join. Don't be afraid to attend club meetings or events by yourself, that is how you meet new people and make new friends, it might be awkward at first but it will be rewarding in the end. For example, my sophomore year I walked up to a table at a campus event and started talking to a girl I recognized from a campus tour and now she is going to be a bridesmaid in my wedding.

Getting involved on campus helps build relationships and a love for your University. It is good to go out of your comfort zone and try or start something new. If I wouldn't have gone out of my comfort zone and walked up to a club interest table, I most likely wouldn't be attending Shawnee. We attend a University to receive a degree and get a good education, but joining clubs and getting involved on campus is what helps us stay and enjoy it. Getting involved helped me gain an appreciation and a love for my University.

College is a time to grow as an individual and learn new experiences, joining a club or organization helps give you just that. Getting involved comes only with positive effects, not only does it make you feel connected and at home at your University but it helps prepare you for your future career. College is supposed to be the best four years of your life.

Instead of using your free time to watch Netflix, join a club or organization to find friends who will watch Netflix with you. I promise you that you will not regret getting involved on campus. If anything, you will regret not getting involved and missing out on many great resources and opportunities. Get to know what your University has to offer when it comes to involvement.

Join a club, organization, find volunteer opportunities, attend a local church, or even get a job on campus. Make the most of your time attending a university by getting involved and you will have the best time of your life.