The Impact Of What Jesus Did

The Impact Of What Jesus Did

It's gotten watered down, skimmed over, because we think we know all that there is to know...

39
The Impact Of What Jesus Did
Nathan Peppin Photography

John 3:16. I think everyone has somewhat of an idea of what that verse entails. Songs have been stuck in our heads as kids, Instagram posts have it quoted on Christmas and Easter, and Bibles have it highlighted and circled.

Here is what it says:

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16

I feel like that phrase is constantly being thrown around, like pennies in a wishing well. It’s been written down and said so much that when we do look at it, it has lost its meaning in the world. We forget about how much the content matters and how much love is in that single sentence.

Whenever I think of the fact that Jesus died on the cross to save our sins, I have noticed the phrase didn’t seem to have much of an impact as it should. All the constant holidays and marketing promotion has watered down the meaning to people, which shouldn’t happen.

I used to think: “Oh Jesus died for me, that’s really nice. Thanks.” Then I would only think about it around Easter. It wasn’t until I read Matthew 26:36-46 and Luke 22:44 that everything changed.

Jesus goes to Gethsemane with His disciples and goes and prays. “He began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then He said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death.” He knows that He is going to die on the cross, and through the scene we are able to see the human part of Jesus. Then in verse 39, He literally falls on his knees and prays to God, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” Therefore, He was hoping there would be another way to save all of humanity but He still trusted and followed God’s will.

Then, flipping over to Luke 22:44, we read, “And being in an agony He prayed more earnestly; and His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.” In scientific terms, we see here that Jesus had Hematidrosis, which is the sweating of blood, caused by extreme anguish. He literally sweated blood because He was in so much pain, over what was to be done. Yet, He still did it. Jesus was nailed to the cross for us. For dirty, little, sinners.

I didn’t realize how hard it was for Jesus to do this. Sometimes we forget that He was human as well as the Son of God. We don’t stop and think about what He thought. We all just go with it, thinking that He wasn’t scared, or sad, because He is God's Son. But, in reality, He went through so much pain, getting beat, being nailed to the cross, and dying there. Just for us. It was ALL for us. He suffered so much for everyone and I don’t think we stop and give Him enough praise for just that.

So instead of giving Jesus thanks just on His birthday or Easter, remember Him every day. Remember the gift we were given of unconditional love and forgiveness of every sin we commit. It really gives you a new perspective.

[Related verses: Matthew 26:38, Luke 22:44, Mark 14:34]